Would like to join the Nacra club

barefoot

Hi,

I sailed a hobie 14 and a laser years ago, am now reaching 40 and is getting itchy feet again and was thinking of a Nacra so the family (I have two kids) can join in. Not ready to start racing yet but would like the option to.

Which Nacra is best, and how old a boat is best value for money. I'm not looking to be the fastest boat but don't want to end up with a dog. Is sail no. a good indication of age, and if yes what should I be looking for.

When I was a student I think I borrowed a 5.2 from UQ sailing club, but I didn't like it that much, thought it was a bit unforgiving, is this a fair comment?

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

There is a fleet of 5.0s at Cleveland Sailing Club. We are planning a "try sailing day" sometime in the new year. There will be a few 5.0s there. It would be worth coming to. UQ sail sails out of Cleveland as well.

john

[This message has been edited by johnt (edited 07 December 2006).]

This is all great advice. The 5.0 is basically indestructable and age is no real problem. The later ones were built stiffer, but what class has this not happened in???

Ask Bris Cat Center for any advise. They know the history of many of the boats and can help with age if you know the sail number.

thank you all, I keep my ears to the ground for the try sailing day next year.

So what sail number should I aim for in a 5.0 and what sort of price? I know it's the same as asking how long is a piece of string, I'm just after a ball park for an averagely looked after boat.

cheers

Paul

Barefoot,

I have just gone through the process of buying a 5.0. The prices have varied from 2.5k to 6.5k. Yes some are age dependant but others are in the 'owner is dreaming' league. I bought my boat for 4k, it does need a minor repair (which is being done at briscat now), but it has near new sails, bridle foil, good trailer, etc. Others I have looked at have been much more expensive with stuffed sails and tatty hulls. Be picky and wait for the right boat and you won't be disapointed(aim to spend 5k, but I'm no expert). (I waited nearly 3 months) Good luck

Richard

• 1 month later...

Archived