Rudders

CleverNickname

Hi Matt,

The ropes were replaced earlier this year, so maybe the cleats need attention. I might sharpen the leading edge so that I can slice through the jelly fish.

I finally got the courage to trapeze while sailing single handed. What an awesome experience. My trapeze wires were not quite long enough, so once I lifted one hull out of the water I felt like I was standing vertically.

i'm not sure if sharpening the leading edge would be a great idea, you may find that you stuff up the patten of flow of water over them. not sure what sort of cleats you have put can you get a file onto them and sharpen the teeth. also do you have a single or double purchase on the rudders, a double is the way to go.

I do suggest the 2:1 as it helped with my ability to point higher. The rudders can be pulled on harder and there is no play compared to the piviot system. Try holding the bottom of the rudder blade and see how much movment you get and you'll see my point.

However there is no safety for hitting the bottom so lift your rudders before lifting the centerboards.

The 2:1 can be used with pivmatics, but you are right, they do not pop up easily.

When I was a Mr Puniverse (13 yo) I did a type of 2:1 system and it worked and they did pop up.

I pop rivited a saddle on the tiller arm just aft of the black pop up system. I tied my rope to there, it then threaded through a small pully that was on the original pull down rope as far back as I could get it with the rudder up, and it then came back through the existing cleat.

It worked well and still allowed the pop up if required.

Also, when sailing in jelly blubber country I had shockcord tightly tied around the tiller arm and I would slip this over the pivmatic pop up system so it wouldn't pop everytime I hit a big one. Then I would slide it off on the way back to the beach.

I try to let the rudders up myself everytime so never a problem if I forget, but sometimes you can't be too careful in sailing.

Matt

Archived