Combined Nationals

I had an interesting conversation today regarding combining National titles of all classes similar to the performance nationals and alter cup held in the US.

The idea would be to hold the nationals for all major Cat classes at one venue at one time in the year.

The advantages are that we would get a couple of hundred boats to one location for a period of a week.

Imagine the publicity and sponsors that cat sailing could attract.It would enhance the whole event by allowing people from differing classes to meet and get together.

The public would be more interested as most would not know that 5 or 6 types of boats were racing separatly but they would just see 200 boats lined up on the beach and heaps of people having fun.

Any ideas ?

That is a brilliant idea, the spectacle would be awesome!

to seperate the class's you could stagger the start times. A bit of traffic is an excellent leveler smile.gif

the logistics would be pretty hard, but im sure it could be done.

you would need plenty of rescue boats, and people to run them.

a yacht club close to a caravan park would be high on the list of wants, it would make the cost of attending more reasonable.

Sailing in big fleets is a geat experience, I have been on startlines with around 70 cats, and that was huge, its hard to imagine 200, you would not want to get caught on the wrong side of that smile.gif

• 1 month later...

I agree that this is a sound idea. Very much in the old "Cat Week" principle. We use to get hundreds of boats to cat week. Even the mighty "C" class would attend. I am unsure as to why these desisted however for the sake of promoting cat sailing this idea should be on all associations agendas.

It troubles me alittle that no replies have been forthcoming since early May.

Is this a sign of apathy on our behalves?

Must admit I did not see/read this one in May? But I think its a great idea. It would not necesarily have to be class association titles; it could simply be a cat regatta, maybe individual classes decide to run their championships or not.

Does anyone know why Cat Week finished up? Are there lessons to learn?

The Taipan class is still looking at this proposal and there is some support for it amongst the ranks.

The Tornado and A-class are running their championships together in future I believe and the Taipan class is looking at joining them.

The Tornado are running their championships in West Australia this year. At Busselton.

A combined nationals for all cat classes would be great, if all classes committed to travel to all states and not pick and choose the venues or states that suited them.

Andrew, there are very few clubs in each state which have the capability of holding an event for the fleet size we are talking. The number of starts to accomodate classes would be impossible. In the USA, for the first time, the "Mega "regatta is for all Hobie classes at one venue.

Personally, I think it is healthy for classes to retain their own identity and make their own National regatta aangements

Guest Antony Edwards

Hello all

I agree with Mal. While a combined nationals would create a big spectacle, and create more interest in the different classes. There are very few Catamaran clubs that could host such an event. what is more, many clubs rely on the titles to make a bit of money, to go towards that new rescue boat, club extension etc etc.

You would also tend to go to the same venue year in year out.

Antony Edwards

I believe combined nationals for the smaller classes (basically all classes other than Hobie) would be a great idea. The event should be held in a different state or at least a different venue each year.

The combined numbers would be similar to the Hobie numbers that where seem at Vincentia which had no problem in running an event of that size with the help of club/association members and Hobie Cat.

It is a great spectacle with 70 odd boats out sailing at one time and might even start to attract more sponsorship.

• 1 month later...

Many years ago I attended a regatta at Lake Boga. This was the National and State Champs for many classes. Classes ranged from Mari cats, Windies to Dolphins, Cobras, Stingray to A's, Taipans, Tornados and Nacras.

This event from memory went for a week. Had 200 - 250 boats and 10 to 15 divisions. The social atmosphere was second to none. The tents were grouped in blocks like a suburb and in between these blocks patroled an Ice truck, fire wood truck and a bored cop car.

Each block cosisted of club or class members, had a 44 gallen drum alight, sound system and eskis everywhere. Sailors would 'block crawl', metting more poeple than you would ever remember and telling tall stories to the early hours of the morning.

This Regatta was like no other regatta I have ever experienced since.

I say lets promote and bring back the Mega Cat Regattas. The Tornados have their 2003 Nationals in WA this year. The next year we are considering hosting our Nats along side the Taipan and A Boys.

How about it Nacra, F-18, Hobie, Mari, Windi, Paper Tiger ect.

We do not have to make it a combined Nationals or States (however it would help, it could also be an annual regatta at one club or rotated between clubs and states.

Are there any clubs and classes interested.

If so, lets all talk.

Please contact me if interested (Clubs and Classes) on steve@tornadoalive.com

ps - dont forget Foster Wild Cat Regatta this Oct long weekend. Lets make this one huge.

Regards

Stephen Medwell

NSW Tornado Representative

Archived