Mog

Emmessee the Trading Post one is the one I got (after a bit of bidding - very popular boat). Saw some pictures today - very happy with it so far. I am going down in the morning to see 1st hand and finalise the deal if all looks good. I have arranged to drop into BCC in the way home to let them give it the once over and pick up some spares and a PFD. It apparently is one of the Bundy Rum boats and that sits pretty well with me as well.

Mike

Picked up the 4.5 that was in the Trading Post yesterday. Did not get time to drop into BCC but will do. Very happy with the boat. The bloke I got it from seemed very particular about its upkeep. I will do a couple of practice rigs and derigs in the back yard then head over to Wivenhoe the weekend after Easter while the club is there to give it its first run. Hopefully they won't have to rescue me too often!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Took the 4.5 out for its first sail today - learnt heaps - some good, some not so good.

Winds in the morning were very light and puffy and I had a lot of trouble pointing up in the light winds - actually a lot of the time it was no wind!!

Afternoon was better although still could not point up high enough to make much headway into wind. Did however get some good puffs and got a hull out occasionally.

Found a few problems, got a litre or two of water out of each hull when packing up, a few of the cam cleats have lost their spring but all in all it went well and I will keep at it.

Organising a trip to BCC in the next week or two to check it over.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike,

did you sort out the problem with water in the hulls? Is this a known problem with this model? Like you were,I am looking for a secondhand 4.5,but they are certainly scarce and so I am starting to consider going for a new one.Would appreciate any advice on what to look out for in a secondhand unit.

John

John,

The 4.5 is with BCC as we speak. I spoke to Ross on Friday and they were "making a list"!!

I am a very novice sailor who took his chance with a relatively rare find. I am happy with the boat and from my reading the water in the hulls is not a known problem. It had been in the water for about 4 - 5 hours to get the couple of litres in the hulls. I did not expect it to be pristine. It is about 15 years old with no obvious major defects but I wanted it gone over so that when I start going backward again I know it is the sailor and not the boat and he just has to watch, listen, learn and practice.

I am not sure where you are but you are more than welcome to come up and have a look over it when I get it back and I will pass on what Ross points out had/has to be done.

Regards

Mike

Archived