What is this boat on ebay?

ozynigma

Hi All,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/16-Ft-Catamaran-Hydra-Sailing-Boat_W0QQitemZ220125197904QQihZ012QQcategoryZ102701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I went and checked out this boat last week that was originally advertised as a 16ft Nacra.

It looks very Nacra with the diamond braced mast, dagger boards etc, very much in the style of the 5.8's I have been looking at but smaller. It has a boom for the mainsail and no bridle foil for the jib.

Length of the hulls is 5m excluding the rudders. Is this a Nacra 5.2 perhaps?

The boat has now been relisted and on the advice of another ebayer the seller is now describing the boat as a Hydra. I have no knowledge of the Hydra so I can't comment.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Howard

Howard,

This is a HYDRA 5m. They were manufactured by J & S Fibreglass who were the licensed builder on the Gold Coast during the late '70s early 80's.

The original concept was by a pommie designer (can't remember his name) and was supposed to be a trainer for the Olympic Tornado. It was named after the island of Hydra in the Greek Med. (The urban myth with some truth to it was that the designer had a dirty weekend there with an air hostie).

The class seemed to die out after the World titles on the Gold Coast in 1982/83 which also seemed to co-incide with a split in the partnership doing the manufacturing. There were some 80 odd boats with about a dozen nations represented (from memory) and was won by Colin Metcher (who now sails a Cobra out of Southport).

Although they were a bit on the heavy side (over 115-120kg platform weight) and under canvassed compared to the H16, in the right conditions they were very quick and a refined and challenging boat to sail well.

I think it was 1983 a Hydra won the Currumbin marathon in very light conditions on scratch against the 16 foot fleet and by something like 45 minutes on handicap.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

That is a fair price for a Hydra. I sailed on back in the very early 80's when they were popular. They were seen racing up to about 1990 but I would have no idea when the last one was made.

Parts should really not be a problem for them as they were very similar parts to that of the Nacra.

BCC would be able to fill you more in on that issue so just give them a call.

Leroy is right about their performace. In the 16 foot class they were just OK. In the right conditions with the right person in charge they could match it with them, but both the Nacra 5.0 and H16 would chew them up most of the time.

They are a good ship to sail though, especially in the flat stuff.

Below is all good.

I am sailing one of these and they are a very well behaved boat. If you buy it get rid of the rachet blocks on the jib and replace with Hobie jib cars or similar. Very easy to check beams and you should especially check the rear bolts for play or cracks.

THese boats often leak around the topside seams. It is an easy fix I can describe.

The lock hook for the mast head is set low and the sail can be easily replaced with the Taipan 4.9 for more power by lifting hook and taking off about ten inches of the Top of the Taipan main.

Jib tension is very important on this boat.

They tack on a dime and sail well singlehanded.

I think it would do very well with a foil and more jib.

Because of being a little underpowered they had been converted to Twin trap. This is not a good idea with that mast as they tend to snap with two traps.

sail fast

Originally posted by Leapin Leroy:

Howard,

This is a HYDRA 5m. They were manufactured by J & S Fibreglass who were the licensed builder on the Gold Coast during the late '70s early 80's.

The original concept was by a pommie designer (can't remember his name) and was supposed to be a trainer for the Olympic Tornado. It was named after the island of Hydra in the Greek Med. (The urban myth with some truth to it was that the designer had a dirty weekend there with an air hostie).

The class seemed to die out after the World titles on the Gold Coast in 1982/83 which also seemed to co-incide with a split in the partnership doing the manufacturing. There were some 80 odd boats with about a dozen nations represented (from memory) and was won by Colin Metcher (who now sails a Cobra out of Southport).

Although they were a bit on the heavy side (over 115-120kg platform weight) and under canvassed compared to the H16, in the right conditions they were very quick and a refined and challenging boat to sail well.

I think it was 1983 a Hydra won the Currumbin marathon in very light conditions on scratch against the 16 foot fleet and by something like 45 minutes on handicap.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

Archived