yard stick

beeky

hi Beeky,

I'm on a 14sq (YA 84.5) and haven't sailed against Cobras but have regulary sailed against Mossie's.. the Mossie is a good match against the 14 with a similar yardstick. in the light stuff the mossie is very competive, but once you get more than about 8-9 knots the 14sq is usually faster. On the 16sq you should be faster again, so if your learning an experience Mossie sailor will be a good "pace" boat but you should start to leave the Mossie behind with some practice..

Where are you sailing ?, we have a big group of 14sqs on Botany Bay in Sydney with the Occasional 16sq visiting us too.

Glen.... DigitalTourGuide

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Ron

I take it your sailing at leven/ulverstone?

Your biggest problem is your isolation from other nacra's and 16sq's. when we first started sailing the 5.8 we had to race against a-class, and it was slow going catching them. Once we got another 5.8 to tune with our boat speed built very rapidly.

There are 3 major regatta's coming up in the south (tascat, yardstick regatta and crown series). maybe you think about joining the nacra fleet down here and see what you can learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hood You are correct. The leven yacht club is a great club. With lots of experienced sailers there. Very friendly too.

Are you in hobart then? Where do i find out more about these races. I would be happy to go down there with my boat if i can learn something. cheers Ron

Yeah I'm in Hobart sailing out of the Lauderdale yacht club. We have 6 nacra's sailing regularly.

The Tasmanian yardstick regatta is on the 10th February held in conjunction with the royal Hobart regatta. 6 races in one day, starting at 9.30 am. entry on the day. we are rigging up at short beach near the royal yacht club.

The crown series is held by the bellerive yacht club http://www.belleriveyachtclub.com.au/ February 23/24 6 races in 2 days, $40 entry and about $1000-$1500 prizes per division. The cats get our own division and course. In the past 2 years this regatta gets close to 200 entries.

tascat Lauderdale : long weekend in march, 6 races over 2 days. we leave monday as a rest day for those who travel from bridport to drive home. NOR will appear here : http://www.catsailor.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9

Archived