Just bought 4.5

Kurt P

Hi guys,

We have just bought a Nacra 4.5 Adventurer from Roscoe and are looking forward to meeting some other Nacra sailors, seems like a very friendly community.

We are located close to Manly and will do most of our sailing in the Bay but will want to venture to other areas as time goes by.

Cheers

Kurt

Hi Kurt

Welcome, and pleased that you settled on a nacra, you won't be dissapointed with your choice I'm sure. I sail out of Humpybong on the Northside and Cleveland on the southside and love to visit the Gold Coast Yacht Club and any other club that will put up with me !!! Yes they are all really great and welcoming so I am sure that you will have a great time .... enjoy

Had an awesome sail on Saturday.

First time out on a beach cat in 20 odd years and hadn't forgotten a thing.

Teh family and kids had a great time and then I left them on the shore and di some hull flying. Was a bit cautious as I didn't want to go swimming first time out.

The 4.5 is a great boat to sail.

looking forward to many more enjoyable experiences.

Cheers

kurt

Kurt

Much like you, I recently bought an old Nacra 5.0 to get out with the kids. Haven't owned a boat for about 12 years but got out a couple of times a month over the summer.

I live at Wynnum, normally put the boat in at the public boat ramp near the Manly harbour entrance. Went out Saturday before last and sailed down around Peel Is, over to Dunwich and then back to Manly. The breeze went from absolutely nothing in the morning to 20 knots on the way back. I hadn't even bothered putting the trapeze on in the morning, didn't seem much point!

You'll find the 4.5 a great family boat, it's very similar to the 5.0. I've loaded the 5.0 up with every kid under the sun it seems, but you can also sail it yourself so they are a very flexible boat.

Hope to see you out there one day, I'm sail# 1871. Angling to get out this Saturday late morning/PM as Mothers Day will be off-limits.

Cheers, Angus

Sounds like you had a good long sail.

I wasn't that game on the first outing with the young kids.

going for a sail this Saturday lunchtime, launching from raby Bay again, the kids enjoy playing on the sand while I'm rigging or sailing alone.

Cheers

kurt

Originally posted by Kurt P:

Sounds like you had a good long sail.

I wasn't that game on the first outing with the young kids.

going for a sail this Saturday lunchtime, launching from raby Bay again, the kids enjoy playing on the sand while I'm rigging or sailing alone.

Cheers

kurt

Hey Kurt, are you developing a thing for sailing at Raby Bay on the low tide? (lol) Saturdays low is at 1.45pm. Mind you, the beach is great for the kids.

I'll see how my weekend shapes up later in the week, and I might be able to meet you there with my Maricat.

Cheers

Barry

Kurt

I did that sail to Peel Is on my own, my wife and the girls were having a craft day with friends doing felting or something, so it seemed a good idea for me to be somewhere else!

I didn't get out on Saturday, ran out of time so took a day off on Tuesday to take advantage of the great weather at the moment. Sailed over to the sandpatch at Moreton Is from Manly. Beautiful day out, although I was almost becalmed for an hour or so on the way back.

While I was rigging up a guy from Cleveland sailing club (I didn't get his name) came over to check what cat was about - he was working next door and saw the cat trailer in the car park. He has a 5.8, and offered a few little rigging tips which I'll try out next time.

STEVE I'd like to try that but may have to wait to next year. We are just starting some renos on our old house at Wynnum/Manly and I think my wife would inflict damage on the family jewels if I get distracted from that.

Oh bugger didn't think to check the tide but it is a really low one again. Might have to find somewhere else to launch from. Maybe at the Manly boat ramp.

I am still memeber of the Squadron at least until the end of the month but am not quite confident enough to try and sail out through the harbour. Seems like such a long way especially with the headwind forcast for saturday.

Forecast also says showers and a possible storm for Saturday so will need to check the weather on the day.

Taht' pretty impressive Gus sailing over to Moreton, would assume it to be a full day sail and needing the right winds.

Cheers

Kurt

It took about an hour and a half to get there in about 10knots or so of breeze. It was a S-S/E so direct course going out between Green and St Helena Islands.

Nice beach for landing, crystal clear water, few turtles and dolphins about so a great spot for a breather.

Longer to get back, by about an hour, I was almost becalmed for ages.

Before it gets too cold I'll try going up the Northern end next time, that will be an all-day sail I imagine.

Angus

If you launch from either Woody Point or Scarborough ramp, the trip to Moreton Island doesn't take long if the winds are favourable (10/15 knots).

We launched once from Woody Point heading for Tangalooma, but unfortunatly the winds were really light, and that day my crew had to be off the water by mid afternoon, so we ended up being pushed for time and decided to turn back a bit after the half way point.

I'm keen to do the trip again someday, so if others are interested, it might be worth planning a day to sail over with a small group of cats?

Would be more fun and probably safer.

Cheers

Barry

Seems like there are quite a few of us out there doing similar things with our cats. Sailing just for the fun of it, who would have thought!

I recently spent Easter and the following week up at Hervey Bay and we sailed from Torquay over to Round Island for a pinic and then cruised over past Woody Island to near Fraser. We spent the recent May long weekend at Lake Cootharaba having a ball in near perfect wind conditions.

Like the rest of you, I've spent some time poking around and exploring a lot of Moreton Bay, usually putting in at Raby Bay or Wynnum.

I'm pretty busy with house reno's for a few months but might be interested in a Moreton Island or similar outing at some time. It makes sense to do some of these longer and more open trips with a few others as there is always safety in numbers.

What safety gear do any of you carry? I always take a tow rope, hand held VHF, flares, V sheet and water for the longer trips just to be on the safe side.

Live slow, sail fast.....just fo the fun of it!

Cheers,

Paul

Nacra 17

That's actually a good question you've asked regarding what safety gear do you normally carry on a catamaran?

For me personaly, I normally only carry things such as a life jacket, sun protection and sufficient food and water for all onboard to last a full day. I also carry a mobile phone in a waterproof cover and a small container with basic spare parts for the boat. I'll also let someone know where we will be sailing from, and roughly what time we expect to be back. (granted the mobile phone is only useful in the southern part of the bay)

The main thing I do to ensure my safety and that of my crew, is to first make sure that my boat is seaworthy before heading out for a day of sailing. Thats usually a matter of regular maintenance and replacing the wearing items such as the standing rigging regularly. If you know that your boat will at least hold together when the going gets tough your half way there in terms of safety.

Cheers

Barry

For anyone interested, we're having another crack at sailing to Morton Island this Sunday (25th May). Leaving from Scarborough harbour boat ramp around 9:30am.

Anyone intereted in coming along see thread in the Australia catamaran forum section.

http://www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000444.html

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 20 May 2008).]

That sounds very tempting, but I've volunteered to help out at my daughters school fete this Sunday.

The Tangalooma wrecks was my next target destination, I hope you have a great day.

As far as the safety question brought up earlier, I think the main thing is to pick a good day (10-15 knots) if going in the open bay and making sure your boat is in good shape. I normally let someone know where I'm going or let the VMR know just in case. I kind of figure there are so many islands about if you stay with your boat you'll end up on one eventually!

I also wear a PFD at all times and carry water, food and mobile.

The northern part of Moreton Bay is classified as 'partially smooth' compared with the soutern part being 'smooth waters'.

QLD Maritime recommends certain safety equipment depending on the type of waters you are sailing in.

Basically you need food/water, flotation and some means of communication. When making a trip to Moreton Island or similar we are no longer sailing "off the beach" so some extra thought and planning is required before making such a trip.

All good points being made so far.

Brad

Archived