Nacra 5.2 mast step

Jester

Anyone give me any pointers as to why i cannot get the pin through the base of the mast althought he previous owner says he used to do it easily?

When setting up the mast, we are currently laying the mast sideways on the tramp/ aft beam, then putting the mast base over the step ball the trying to put the pin in to stop mast from popping out during the lift. Ball seems to big as the pin will not go all the way through but rather hits the ball and will not go any further.

The Nacra is new to us and have never had a setup like it on mozzies or prindles. We can manage to get it up without the pin by using another bloke to hold the base of the mast down until there is enough height in the end of the mast to start pushing down on the mast base??!! PHEEEWWWW got that out?!

If anyone understands what i mean the n any pointers would be handy. Maybe making the ball smaller?? or the pin thinner? I think we must be doing it wrong as previous owner had no dramas. Have hassled him enough and thought i would put out the feelers on here first.

Thanks,

Chris

Nacra 5.2

when raising/lowering the mast the mast must be at right angle to the boat .ie lying flat with the front of the mast pointing at one hull and the mast track pointing at the other .the top of the mast may have to be raised sowhat to allow the insertion of the pin usually rest the mast on a support or (like the one on the front of your trailor)a tree or wheelie bin (you get the picture).the pins only job is to stop the mast jumping of the ball when raising or lowering.there are other methods to do this with out the pin but because of oh&s reasons I won't go into them.......

Jay

[This message has been edited by Village Idiot (edited 11 May 2008).]

I have never used the mast pin due to the same reason as you have experienced, it would not go in. I have got around this by tying the righting rope (rope used to bring the boat up on a capsize) around the base of the mast and so as i am lowering or raising the mast, if it does jump off the ball the rope holds it in place and you don't lose control of the mast. Don't shave the ball or do anything else, BBC told me definitely not to do that. Try the rope tying idea, it works for me and once when the mast 'jumped' off, it didn't go anywhere due to the rope.

Chris

I've had my Nacra 5.0 about 10 months now and the mast base/step arrangement was certainly different to my previous Hobies/Calypsos and Hydras. However having used it I think it is a great idea and I have never had a mast jump on me, and I'm sometimes rigging it alone so that is important.

I am almost always rigging my boat on the trailer, so I position the mast and push it on the ball with the mast flat as Jay says - mast spanner pointing to one hull and mast track at the other. Lengthwise the mast is elevated a little, I use the rear trailer support which is about one foot higher then the rear beam. I have rubber on the mast support and I think the friction of that helps the mast stay in position on the ball.

If its pushed on properly it will stay like that until I walk around to the front beam and drop the pin in. If the mast is engaged on the ball properly the pin should slide quite easily past with little resistance (and mine is a new ball so essentially no wear). The other thing to remember is to drop the pin from the top, and don't rotate the mast until it is raised, as the pin could drop out.... My pin has a string tied around the mast step thread and the string stops it falling right through.

Don't modify the ball!

Give me a call on 0412 105 789 if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

Angus

Hi Jester,

On my 5.2 I used to attach a rope to the end of the front shroud and run it through a small block where the two bridle wires met in teh middle, and then attached the other end of the rope to one of the jib lines.

Once this was hooked up I'd pull some tension on the jib line which would have the effect of pulling the mast down onto the mast ball, and then as I'd step the mast up I'd run the jib rope through my hands, and then as the mast was upright, I'd just cleat the rope off and that would hold the mast in place.

I'd then get one of the trap wires and hook it onto my harness, I'd then use my body weight and the harness to hold the mast forward while I connected the forestay to the bridle wires.

I used this method because I'd often have to rig my boat on my own.

Using the jib rope also helped to control the decent of the mast when lowering the mast on your own.

If you send me your email address I can email you some pic's I took that will show you how I set the mast up ready for the lift.

It's dead easy once you know how to do it.

Cheers

Barry

Hi,

Theres an old assembly manuel for the original nacras at www.goosemarine.com.au, just go to articles/photos and scroll down till you find "Nacra Assembly Manual Original Version" It shows a step by step guide to rasing the mast including pictures. I also recommend having a look at the tuning guide if new to the boat (also located in atricles section of the website).

Hope this helps,

Leigh

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the help.

One thing i forgot to mention is the fact that the pin will still not go in once the mast is erect. This must mean that either the ball is the wrong size, the pin is too thick or the holes drilled into the mast base are in the wrong position??

Appreciate the help and looking for other Nacra sailors to cruise around with ( a little hard in Canberra, but am willing to travel to the coast if i can get the other half keen for the trip)

ctlremington@optusnet.com.au

Chris

Whilst i have the string going,

I bought the 5.2 with rego'd trailer, beach wheels, 4 sets main (1x new race), 4 jibs, spare centreboards etc.

What do they normally sell for?

Just want an idea compared to what i paid. Havn't found too many of them for sale...

Ta, Chris

Archived