trial bay

yarra bay

good to see 9 5.8s out there on the weekend for some good racing but you guys need to look out for that port start i guess, it was good to see steve harden up and do more than 2 races.

well when will we see you guys again hopping to sail at Kurnel and Batemans bay both great places to sail come on guys we are on a roll here lets keep pushing getting this class running.

my number is 0412252827

hey guys it has brought to me attention that the boat that won the trial bay regatta was not class legal. sails come out of the factory with 2 sets of sail numbers with this boat only having one set makes in breach of the blue book as well, so after the stuff the went down after the state titles can you plase make sure all boats are class legal thank you

Hi Yarra,

Sorry to correct you on this, but I have just gone over the class rules, and there is no reference to Sail Numbers.

It's a probably a good idea to check them before making comments on a public forum. The section relating to sails and battens is Section 6. You can find them at:

http://regatta.nacraxtreme.com/nacra-international-class-rules.html

I think you will find any requirements regarding sail numbers is entirely related to the blue book only.

As such, if it is really was such a big deal, the proper process would have been to lodge a protest with the committee.

Did they still have the $250 protest fee at Trial Bay?

As an aside, that is why the States and Super Series was moved away from there, because the protest fee encourages people to flout the rules.

If anyone has any further questions regarding the class rules or protest process, we might be having a Q&A session at the final round of the Super Series at Windamere.

Look forward to seeing you there Yarra, especially seeing your comments about maintaining and improving the Nacra presence in NSW. Anyone who wants to add constructively to the energy we have been putting in for the last 4-5 years is more than welcome, particularly in classes other than the 5.8.

Regards,

Mitch

Secretary

NSW Nacra Association

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 12 March 2009).]

in regards to the protest fee at trial bay, i believe that the f18 guys where prepared to run there own protest committee at trial bay if it was required over last weekend as they ran there state titles there. i know that the organiser's of the trial bay regatta don't have the man power to be able to hear protests at that meet and therefore discourage people from protesting by placing a $250-00 fee on it. in relation to the nacra super series i think we should adopt the same approch and offer a seperate protest committee if need be for clubs that may not have the man power to run a protest committee.

i do hope that the boat that was in qestion was not the same boat that protested another boat out earlier in the year for not being class legal. because if you "live in a glass house you should't through stones"

not sure how preformance inhancing it make's your boat by not having sail numbers on one side, i don't think i would protest someone out for it.

cheers rev

no the point im makig is the sails are provided with 2 set of sail numbers out of the factory so if its factory provided then it should be left that way, i think the blue book over rides every thing.

i am not here to protest this im just making a point thats all......

Hey Fellow Nacra Sailors.

Trial bay Regatta is a spectacular event that should be supported annually purely because of the man power that the small club Nambucca Heads puts into it. I agree with Rev that maybe in the super series we should form our own protest process same as F18's. This then removes any reason not to hold future State and Super series at Trial Bay. I know of 9 dedicated nacra 5.8's that will attend there each year. That makes up more than half of the Nacras that attend the super series.

Yarra, this season is nearly over but happy to talk to you about next season. i reckon my wife will have a fit if i try and squeeze one more travel away Regatta this season. Which is also unfortunately why i cannot attend Windamere dam.

Mitch, won't be able to attend but we are happy to keep the energy going as is apparent by getting 5 Nacras to attend Trial Bay from our club alone.

Here is input from those that cannot attend

>Maybe need to discuss Super Series for next year sometime before they are set in concrete .( I know of at least 7 Nacra 5.8's that want input)

>FYI I know that next season the Forster Wildcat, Speers Point Annual, Mannering Park and Trial Bay will be well supported by Nacra sailors so why not combine the SS into these. Also there is interest from those at Kurnell for us to attend

>And if Speers point is considered for the States we would love to host it. And yes the wind hasn't been real good this year but the previous year the wind was brilliant. The wind this season has been pretty ordinary all round. Even Port Stephens over the Xmas period did not produce the usual reliable northerlies, i was there!!

Hi Yarra,

A lot of downhauls running around at the moment are different from the way the boat came from the factory, and still remain within the class rules and rules of sailing.

A couple of older boats have been re-finished and remain within the class rules and rules of sailing.

A skipper is perfectly entitled to change the sail numbers on a sail, provided they comply with the relevant requirements. If the sail had a class compliant label on it, what's the real issue?

If a skipper has been neglectful in this, the time and place to bring it up is at the regatta, and if you're not prepared to go through the proper channels and pay a protest fee, save it for beers around the campfire.

If you want to make a point, might I suggest the following topics for a public Nacra forum:

Ridiculously underweight crew/skipper combinations.

Suspect boat mass.

Or, any other issue that actually affects the performance of a boat or is against the Nacra class rules.

Regards,

Mitch

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 13 March 2009).]

Hi Henk,

Shame we won't see you at Windamere.

I count 29 Nacras that have sailed at a Super Series event this year so far, and 9/29 is not half, not even a third in fact.

Any suggestions are more than welcome ... if anyone can't make the campfire at Windamere, send all constructive comments to uhmbnacra@optusnet.com.au

I feel obligated to point out that we are members of the NSW Nacra Association, not the Central Coast 5.8 Association or South Coast or Sydney or Central West or other combination of NSW districts.

It is great that there are many Nacras running around these areas, but if we want to support Nacra and guys like James from NacraXtreme who are putting their livelihoods in the mix, then not only do we need to keep the existing owners happy with a couple of events, but also spread the love around other areas and take the Super Series and States there. Don't forget that you personally led the charge to move this year's event away from Port Hunter.

It will not help future petitions such as the one you organised and submitted to the association if the skippers who signed do not attend the replacement event.

My personal view is that that two Super Series events around Speers Pt/ Mannering Park/ Port Hunter/ Forster/ Trial Bay is more than enough. The idea of the Super Series is to get around to the clubs throughout the state, not to go somewhere you can see from your home club with a pair of good binoculars.

We havent been to Botany Bay in a while, so I'm pretty sure one will be there, as well as one in the Central West.

That leaves one for the States, which I'm pretty sure will be back on Lake Illawarra for another year, which provided good hard sailing at a great venue.

Yes, there will be consultation on where to hold next year's events, and input is more than welcome, but it will be based on the best sailing for everyone, not a pocket of sailors in one class.

Regards,

Mitch

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 20 March 2009).]

if any club wishes to host around of the super series they should contact me, to date we have only gone to clubs where they have expressed interest in having us there. so henk if you would like to see rounds at other clubs other than your own, please get someone from those clubs to contact me and express an interest. it is a lot easier if a club wants us there in relation to giving us our own start line and usally some input into what sort of format we like to race in (courses, times, number of races etc). sometimes clubs have to make a change or two so we can hold an event there. i believe this was the case at speers point last year where they had to add another race to the regatta so it could qualify as a super series round.

it's not my way of doing things to turn up at a club and start demanding what we want to happen as we have a class of boats and want it all to happen for us. we have in the past turned up to events with numbers only to find that they where not prepared and we didn't even get a class result never mind our own start line.

cheers martin Horder Nacra President

i did mention yarra bay was interested to old one if the port hunter retagatta wasnt going a head, but no one came to me about it. i think that it would be better if it was shared around i think the first one should be a forster lets have one in sydney one on the central coast and one downb south.

next one where are the state titles being held? but any way we should all catch up and discuse this see where we all stand hooroopc@optusnet.com.au is my email

Hi Guys,

Wearing my F18 Hat on this post.

I have had several F18 sailors wanting to run a similar traveller series so would love to combine a few of our events in conjunction with the Nacra Events, this in turn would creat a large number of boats both F18 and Nacra (mixed class).

Can I be apart of any planning to see what events the F18 may be able to join in on.

Cat racing in Australia is on the rise and all of us getting togther can only make for better racing.

Regards

James (with my F18 Hat on)

Originally posted by joclo:

Hi Guys,

Wearing my F18 Hat on this post.

I have had several F18 sailors wanting to run a similar traveller series so would love to combine a few of our events in conjunction with the Nacra Events, this in turn would creat a large number of boats both F18 and Nacra (mixed class).

Can I be apart of any planning to see what events the F18 may be able to join in on.

Cat racing in Australia is on the rise and all of us getting togther can only make for better racing.

Regards

James (with my F18 Hat on)

James,

I totally agree with you and I can guarantee 8 other Nacra 5.8's also agree with you. Happy to provide input

rgds

Henk

Yarra,

I reckon Speers point would be happy to reciprocate by attending your regatta in the next season. I am vice President( also part of putting the annual Speers sailing program together) and the voted in large catamaran representative for Speers point, represent a total of 13 including 5.8's , infusion, tiger and Tornados.

Mitch,

Maybe rather than keep mentioning MY petition that moved the Super series from Port Hunter you need to tell other members what it was actually about - a genuine safety issue was raised. This was supported by quite a few Nacra sailors, not ony the Speers point sailors.

Strange this was never discussed face to face or, as was suggested prior to attending, discussed amongst all attending members at Mannering Park, you had plenty of opportunity on the bank.

Actually Henk,

If I wasn't sailing my boat, taking memberships or rigging/derigging my 5.8 single handed, I was running around after my two year old ...

And come to that, the only time you approached me was when I had my hands full of mast and sails. You dropped off your membership, left the area and I can't remember seeing you again over the weekend.

The reason we refer to it as your petition is because you kicked off the issue (which I have always acknowledged was a valid one), you organised the names, which if I recall correctly only six people actually signed and not all of those were members of the association.

Henk, you raised an issue, got a few people to agree to bring it to the association. The association (despite the numbers being in the minority of anticipated sailors at the event) said OK and moved the event, hopefully avoiding issues with big boats that don't stop quick. What more do you want?

If you're after a public pat on the back, then here it is. Well done.

James,

Good work on the F18s, you guys are already lined up for trophies in the Super Series, and the more we can get to any of these events the better,

If anyone of the other classes can get along to Windamere, they'll be up for trophies as well.

Yarra,

Actually .. we wanted to see if you were still interested in hosting a Super Series event. If you forward your club's calendar for next year and a couple of phone numbers to uhmbnacra@optusnet.com.au, Rev or myself will get in touch.

Mitch

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 14 March 2009).]

I do not understand the sarcasim and inuendos???

Anyway,I am over all the "politics".

I just want to sail and I am happy to travel and reckon I have done my share of travel this season and have encouraged others to do the same. good luck to all those that attend Windamere dam,may you have good winds. Speers Point will have a representation there, treat him well!!!

I have a lot of energy to put into a growing class of 5.8's and am a great networker. I hope the NSW Nacra association committee can see the positives in this and use my energy to help continue to grow what i reckon is a extremely fun boat.We have had a few boats sell just recently and amazingly they are going to sail at our club so should be 8 active Nacra 5.8's and 2 x F18's next season

Talk about fun, for the first time ever I got a 1st( at Trial Bay) WHAT A BUZZ.

Will be 20 knots from the NE at Speers Point today so in for a good sail, should be 8 big cats on the water.

By the way, Speers Point are hosting a Tasar Regatta over Easter, expected to be about 60 boats. The big cat sailors are all on rescue boats , should be a great event

See you on the water soon

Henk

you will not have to worry about treating your speers point rep well (or anyone for that matter) henk, as he is from coonamble and we actually got him into sailing and into a nacra and pointed him towards speers point sailing club when he moved to the newcastle two years ago. i think you will find he has proberly sailed more time at windamere that he has at speers point. that's why is busting to get up for the weekend because he knows what a great place it is. hopefully a couple more of the many boats that you talk of will also make the trip. it's not that far from newcastle, especialy now that they have tarred the road all the way from sandy hollow to rylistone.

my email is martinhbds@bigpond.com for any one who wants to email me in relation to hosting a round of the super series. i would like to see a round back in sydney again as it is very central to all the fleet and you can also expect a round to be west of the mountains as it was those bush boats that got the whole nacra fleet up and running again in NSW and we won't be turning our back on them after they have put in 5 years of hard work and heaps of traverling to every single regatta. And have also represented NSW in the last 5 national titles.

Archived