Purchasing New and Used Nacra's

TonkaToy

Hiya Folks,

I am your newest forum member and before going on, I would just like to thank Ross, Warren and Mick from Brisbane Cats for their friendly and professional approach to potential customers of which I am one.

I am in the market for a Cat with some speed and I am torn between the F18 and the 570. Now I did set my criteria on not having boards but the more I look at it, the more I think that an 18 ft boarded cat seems the go.

I have had my heart set on a new cat, however, it would be short sighted of me to not look at the secondhand market (despite the sadness it may bring to the Bris Cat guys for their effort).

I am a keen yachtsman and currently own a couple of lasers that I use to blast around when the trade winds appear here in the north and wish to have something that I can use double, possibly triple handed for some serious fun, not to mention for use in racing if the need arises.

I am based just off shore of Townsville and there seems to be a healthy fleet of F-18 and 5.8 owners here.

Could anyone out there provide me with some solid advice and wisdom as to the best choices available and likely boats on the market worth considering in addition to new? Are there any pitfalls with secondhand F-18s from the early 2,000s?

Whilst the 570 seems an excellent board less option I am concerned that it is new on the market and there are few to mention. If there are 570 owners out there, please tell me what they are like by comparison to the F18?

Regards

Tonka

G'day Tonka,

I'm from Cairns, and have just gone through all the dilema that you are now experiencing. I would pose a couple of questions if I may,

1. Will you be rigging/de-rigging the beast each time you sail?

2. It would appear that you prefer an easy rig (laser owner, i'm used to be one until I discovered the 14sq.) Is this true?

3. I would be recommending the boardless 570, with the small amount of information.

I had the plan of getting a second hand boat and and was told it was race ready. After driving 3500klms in one weekend and spending about $500 on Fuel, I found out that there was no tiller extention, 2 x chain plate pins missing, halyard cleat is f#@*ed, Mast base is broken and no hinge pin! rope insert in the lower section of the main where the cunningham is is not there, both trap wires lost more strands after 1 hour sailing, a tyre on the beach roller was flat.

It may seem like a whinge, but I've NEVER had a second hand boat that was in immaculate condition. You will be up for more expense no matter what you buy, unless Briscat sell it to you as a rebuild. I've seen a nice I 17 that they had done and it is beautiful.

My advice is to get the 570 on special with the 5 year warranty and go and enjoy your spare time. If you do get an F18, go over it with Mick and the finest tooth comb that you can find, and still be prepared to spend after initial purchase.

The 570 can have the spinnaker added later (i suppose it's the same for the f18) but it looks easier, I bet the f18's faster though......

I think the key is "active fleet" - if you're going to race it's much more satisfying to sail with/against the same type of boat. See what's available in clubs locally first, then buy.

That's how I got into cats, went to my local club to see what single handers they sail - Mannering Park only does cats so a cat it was!

Tonka,

What a great “problem” to have needing to choose what cat to buy!

There are a lot of similar threads on this forum and I am sure you will find useful info.

In the end it will come down to what suits you and what you want to do.

Just returned from a Regatta at Tinaroo in North QLD there was 100+ boats up there.

All up I guess there was 16-17 cats there. There was 6 x F18s, 2 x Hobbies 16, 2 x SQ16s, Tornado, Inter 17, 5.8, 4.5, Taipan in F16 configuration, Taipan and others.

That gets you an idea what’s is “actively” raced in North QLD. All but one cat had travelled (Port Douglas, Cairns, Townsville, Whitsunday)

Would think that F18 is the fastest growing class, locally, national and international. Hobie 16 would be the biggest one-design class in the world, but you don’t see to many locally.

There is a regatta on in Townsville on Queens Birthday weekend in June, good opportunity to check out what is sailed.

Check out www.tsvsailingclub.com for the Townsville sprint regatta details.

Cant tell you anything about the 570 but I have a 2nd hand Nacra F18 for sale in Townsville. Since I bought a Nacra 4.5 my F18 have seen very little use and is more or less collecting cobwebs these days. It’s a 2003 boat with upgraded rig 2005, complete ready to sail with spare sails and parts on a basically new galvanised trailer with one fibreglass box. Pricing is very keen!

Good luck

Chris

BTW why wasn’t there any SQ14 at Tinaroo Cruiser?

Hiya Chris,

Thank you for your good advice. I am looking at another F18 in my travels around Brisbane tomorrow morning early. I have attempted to send you an email via your contact on the NQ Nacra Newsletter (thanks to Mick). Could you call me on my mobile at 0400 709614 as soon as you can as a TSV based unit would be heaps easier to organise and perhaps I could get setup for the TSV Regatta in time? I'd hate to miss out on a keenly priced secondhand unit, especially in my backyard.

I have also seen a really good condition 5.8 with all the bits in the mid 1300's keenly priced at around $5k. Gee Wiz, you get lotsa boat for your money here! I am of the view that the F18 may be a better option, especially if I turn my hand to racing which Mick advise is well worth it in Townsville.

Please come back to me asap so that we can discuss?

Regards

Tonka

Hiya Folks,

Thanks a million for all the advice. Thanks especially to the Brisbane Cat Team for their helpful advice.

I have purchased a mint condition F18 that is well known to the NQ members of the forum. Thanks to Chris as he managed to sway me to consider and purchase his well maintained F18 - Thing.

Michael has been exceptionally helpful in directing me with setup etc.

I hope to have her on the water and in the pack shortly...

This will be the first F18 living on Magnetic Island.

Regards

Tonka

Archived