Jump to content

Barberhaulers Pulling Out


Wolfman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 'refurbished' 5.2 that has had the hulls reglassed (basically just scratch fixes) and gelcoated. The guy that redid the boat has only worked with Hobies in the past (not many Nacras around here) so I have been finding 'little' issues with the stock. Last weekend I had it out in my first decent wind (11 knots) and noticed that the eyelets attaching the barberhauler pulley was pulling out on both sides. In my 1981 boat this is located in front of the daggerboard just outboard of front access port. The eyelets are simply rivetted to the hull (seems like a bad idea to me).

The question I have is: on the stock pre 1985 boats how did they prevent this from happening? Was there a backer plate that is missing? Was the glass just reinforced there? Am I using the barberhaulers incorrectly and putting too much load on them?

I can take pics this weekend to show what is happening (didn't have my camera with me). I am thinking of just moving the eyelets to the front beam (I have seen this on other boats online) and sealing the holes and cracks with marine tex and 3M sealant.

Subsequent to noticing the pullouts I also noticed that the hulls had taken on some water. About 2 gallons each in 5 hours. I'm assuming (because the boat was recently worked on) that the source of the leakage is these pullouts and cracks, but it sure seems like a lot of water for such a small area leaking. Does this make sense to anyone or should I be more concerned.

Wow, these old boats seem to be a constant work in progress! I think it beats the old Hobie 16 I used to sail in every way though!

Regards,

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only had a 5.8 but the barber haulers didn't take much of a load. My crew once pulled the rivetts out of the beam by pulling too hard. IMO the barber hauler is there just to guide the jib leads more outboard, it may be that your cleating your jib then trying to pull your barber haulers on, the jib leads nead to be let off as you pull the haulers on. Two gallons is heaps of water, were the centreboard wells done? its easy to do the rest of the boat I would check for a leak there.

regards Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I was probably pulling too hard on the barber haulers. I'm moving them to the front beam anyway, so that should solve the problem until I know what I'm doing. Now I just have to repair the holes where they eyelets were (marinetex?).

I haven't tested for leaks yet but I do know that none of the rivets were sealed through the centrehole, so that is where I'm starting. I suspect the lip around the centreboards may be leaking also, but I'm scared to even test for it because I have no idea how I am going to reach the area. Any advice there? A caulking gun with a hooked nozzle? I could be wrong about the volume of water in the hulls, hard to tell when emptying though the tiny drain ports. Next time out I will try and measure it with a pail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the barber haulers are in the correct place already you can just put a bit of resin in the existing holes and rescrew, that would keep the haulers in the right place. I would definately check for leaks, If you go over with that much water in the top hull that could make the boat turtle, it would certainly make it harder to right. Tape an aircompressor nozzle loosly to the boats bunghole so that any excess pressure escapes out and doesn't blow your boat up, then go over with lots of soapy water. Make sure you are gentle with the soap and water so there are no bubbles while you are applying it only bubbles formed by the airleaks. Especially look at the front and back of the centreboard casing, its not that hard to fix but will get worse not better so find the leaks, then we can direct you to threads where the repairs have already been covered. If the previous owner hasn't sealed all the screws and bolts I would take them out put a bit of sikaflex in the hole then rescrew. While you have the compressor out do the same test to your mast, mostly only need to seal those leaks with some sikaflex.

regards Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Advice! I sealed all the rivets and the cracked area where the barberhaulers pulled out with 3M 5200 and replaced the old drain plugs with new ones. Sailed it 'hauler free' for 6 hours and just got a dribble of water inside the hulls.

I think I will pull out the eyestraps on the hull and repair the area with some marinetex. Then redrill the holes and through bolt the thing using a stainless backer plate. That should address the problem.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...