what is suitable for a "big" guy

Hi

Iam looking a buying a cat not sure what type yet, but have alimited budget (don't we all). I am around 125kg and am lloking or just fun on the water and a bit of racing ( but not worried about being competitive).

What would yo suggest with a budget of arounf 3 to 3.5k

thanks

Steve

well being such a big boy i think a nacra 16sq would be a good choice, they are built tough and have alot of sail area for a 1 up cat.

Then you have a boat like a maricat or windrush which both boats are built to last and are a hell of alot of fun.

What sort of boats are sailing @ the club you will be sailing at?

I am about the same weight, maybe a little less abd losing a bit, but I am sailing an A-Class. What would be perfect for a single handed big fella is the 18 square. But there is not a class anymore in Australia.

Lose a few KG's with me and we will be fine.

I am happy to share the brunt, and I am in Sydney if you want to chat.

I bought a 16 Calypso for 3500 (top money) but the craft is in great shape. goes like the wind !!! all I have to do now is learn how to sail it lol. What part of Qld are you from? ... We have a bloke at Cleveland Yacht Club (Brisbane) that sails a hobie 16 1 up and does pretty well

• 2 weeks later...

Gday Steve,

The nacra 16sq will be a good boat if you want some racing as they have some good fleets and are on par with the hobie 16 of which plenty are racing in qld.

If you cant get one for the right price you could try a hobie 18 which will carry you one up in lighter winds and be good with a crew at any time. Usually a few oldies around for sale. There's one in this price range for sale in Mackay at the moment, can get you th eguys nimber if you want it.

Cheers Phil

• 2 months later...

Nacra 5.8 aroung the 800 series....... Will take your weight well with or without a crew.

If you can find one.... An old Tornado Classic rigged in the 250's or earlier..... Reg WHite or Lance Handley hulls

Hobie 18 will also do the job.

One man boats either Nacra 16sq, 18sq or old alloy stick / fiberglass or Kevlar Carbon A Class mk 3 or earlier Boyer.

Archived