Taipan 4.9 with kite ????

Can anybody share some advice or their experience with running kites on

4.9s.

These boats were never designed for them but many people have fitted

kites to them even just for fun outside class racing.

Are the boats structually sound enough to take the kite?

What are the potential problems to look out for?

Have any sailors had any bad experiences with them?

More specifically, is the front beam and the bows up to the job long

term in testing conditions?

All interesting questions Tornado and I'm looking forward to hearing some of the feedback, as I'm also considering a kite for my T4.9

AHPC make a kite kit for the T4.9 as an option so they must have confidence in the rest of the platform to be able to handle the loads a kite would put the rest of the boat under.

Other people have converted the T4.9 to F16 configuration - so it can be done.

I have heard of a mast breaking with the kite, but I'm not sure under what conditions the mast broke (heavy or light breeze?)

Personally, I reckon a kite would be the "ants pants" on a T4.9 up to about 15 knots, and would make a good boat go even better.

I run a kite on my timber Taipan with no problems.(this was built straight of the plans no mods) I have also seen the newer Taipans sail number 220 up come out with holes in the nose of the hulls so they can carry a spinnaker.

Never heard of a front beam giving way.Mast will break if there is not enough tension on the main sheet.Your Capricorn mast would break under same conditions.

There was a Taipan 4.9 sloop rig sailing with kite here in Adelaide for a couple years with crew weight of around 150 kg never had any problems.

The none spinnaker boats with front beam problems has happened after multiple years of racing and was mostly wear and tear.

I would forward you concerns to Greg Goodall who will answer any concerns you have.

Blades use same mast section as the Taipans and so far no problems.

PS When sailing with a kite it's a good idea not to look up. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by dannyj (edited 04 August 2008).]

[This message has been edited by dannyj (edited 04 August 2008).]

I have never seen one either, but have heard off them. Check out the AUS Taipan for sale page

http://www.taipan.asn.au/Buy_it_now/buy_it_frame.htm

Taipan 4.9 Sloop

Kevlar/glass hulls, Pentax mainsail and Jib, also mylar mainsail and jib. Carbon foils and rudders, proctor adjustable spreaders. Two spare front beam blanks plus one spare boom blank.

Registered Mackay, NO TIE, galvanised trailer with sail box and beach rollers.

Excellent condition always garaged and maintained to a high standard.

Fast and ready to race for competitive club and national level racing.

Taipan 4.9 Sloop

Kevlar/Glass hulls. Good, strong, VERY competitive boat. Fully overhauled and rebuilt. New front beam with single pull barber hauler. Brand new boom. Excellent condition Ashby smoked pentex sails (brand new Jib). All new Cleats and ropes. Brand new trap wires. Has spinnaker and bag but no pole. Registered trailer with sail box.

Taipan 4.9 Sloop,

Single Kevlar hulls, which are no longer manufactured, and are almost indestructible. 2 mains, 3 jibs, new front beam. Galvanised road trailer. Spinnaker kit add $1500

You can obviously see why I am asking the question.

What sort of wear and tear are you talking about?

As for the mast, yes, I know how vunerable they can be if you do not do the righ thing (as with most spin boats) but know they are surving the current F16s well.

That boat is around the corner from me it has 2 spare beams because he broke his mast and cut it up.The other boats are older boats they change the front beam because they wear where the bolts go through the beam and it causes movement. When this has been changed you have a stiff boat that's like new.I have seen 2 cracked beams they both had hair line cracks one was where the striker went through the beam the other was near the inner bolt on the starboard hull. Both these beams were changed because owners thorght it would be safer to do so.Also no one was sure how long the cracks were there before they noticed. them.Steve if you are so concerned you can go and purchase a Blade. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by dannyj (edited 05 August 2008).]

Steve, Dannyj's advice is perfect. The front beams corrode over time where the striker meets the front beam at each hull. You really shouldn't be worried about the strength of beams or the loads on the boat from running a kite. If your front beam is showing signs of fatigue, it's a long slow process and you'll see it coming with plenty of warning.

Archived