When should shrouds and forstays be replaced

when i bought my calypso it was 25 years old so i assumed that the rigging was 25 years old ... the only safe assumption ... so i replaced all of my rigging then .... some people say to watch the wire etc for detoriation but my theory is that it can be a long swim home so for the safest bet change it ... if only for the peace of mind

Originally posted by RWJ:

Saw a reasonably new 5.8 break a side stay at the Qld states this year (moderate winds). Could have caused a lot of damage.

the boat in question was 6-7 years old ,don't know how old the rigging was though. I've broke 2 forestays on a 5.8 one forestay was only 3 months old (top swag let go in 25/30knots ) ouch ,,,,

• 1 month later...

You know this decision to replace "parts" on the cat. Well i have been slowly getting new bits and bobs on my cat, though noticed that the current parts just do not seem to be built that well - as are all goods these days - not built to last. However, yes it is probably best to replace, i have replaced a lot stuff, not because it had broken, just didn't want to risk eqpt. failure - though i reckon the original parts are still good on my cat - 20 yrs young.

Have Fun !!

Cat

Originally posted by REV YUKKA II:

i sailed my 5.8 for half a season with a wire hanging out of the main stay before i got new ones over the following winter. i must say that i did think about it a few times when i was in a blow. but the old girl never ever let me down.

it's the broken wires inside the stay you got to worry about(the ones you can't see)

sometimes you can be lucky,,,and other times not...I've had and seen gear failure with no warning signs.you just have to use your head ,if your sailing on a fresh water lake your rigging and hardware isn't going to be subject to the load or corrosion problems then if you sail on open water..so your standing rigging should infact almost last forever. In rigging most of your problems will be corrosion ,you might not even see the corrosion it usually happens inside the wire in the middle strands you can't see and 9 times out of 10 it's hidden down inside a roll swage or under a swag you can't see under,this is the reason why if you sail on salt water you have to replace rigging.

I've also found some stainless wire is better quality than other and less prone to corrode .If your not sure replace it .

• 1 year later...

We had a tornado break it's mast on the invitation race at the recent tornado nats here.

one of the tube swages on the diamond stays gave way and suddenly no lateral support + all that sail area powered up = snap

seems that the wire inside the swage fitting can pool salt water and corrode over time weaking the wire until impending failure.

and the rigging was under 3 seasons old.

so I guess maybe washing out after racing could help as I've seen neglected penned yachts snap sidestays due to the same problem.

Archived