Internal Downhaul

When I did my "A" I made it up externally then measured exactly where the top cheek blocks needed to be. Used a stick with some tape holding the cheakblocks for each side to push it into the mast and rivetted it in. It was very neat but fiddly it's easier if you just put a bolt through the mast at the top of the downhaul.

regards Jeff

I have a 5.7 and i have just switched to an external system. The internal system is impossible to maintain and will explode one day, unless you regularly remove the base plate, remove rivets, etc and clean/replace pulleys. The main problem I have had is it is difficult to get enough play in the system and it is usually block to block in heavy air. I regret having put more holes in my mast for the internal system; however i will send some images of my internal system soon. Do you have an emil address. Regards Carl

My email jamiec313@hotmail.com

The external system i have looks messy works fine but feels congested. Also when I dropped the mast at Hazlewood the block at the base of the mast was caught between the mast and the cross bar which i thinks has broken a thread in the dolphin striker tensioner as it actted as a lever and lifted the mast base putting to much presure on the thread. I haven't looked at it yet but am hoping its quite simple to fix.

I look forward to the photo's.

Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

I hope the boat is OK. If in doupt call the manufacturer Greg Goodall on 03 5443 6910.

I dont know how to post images, so I have email you pics of my internal system. Also check out a previous forum topic, "cascading downhaul 14.11.08, as it shows a diagram of a down haul system.

Regards Carl

Archived