Single auto ratchet block in 7:1 mainsheet block system?

Has anybody tried using a single auto ratchet block in a 7:1 mainsheet system instead of a plain single block? (standard ratchet triple with becket on bottom with single block mounted above the cleat and triple block on top).

I am try to stop fatigue towards the end of the race after not cleating the main upwind. I had a spare block in the shed and thought I might try it out in tomorrows race. Seeking a bit of reassurance that it will work as the conditions tomorrow are looking nasty:

Sunday - Scattered showers developing during the morning and falling as snow above 900 metres. Chance of a thunderstorm with small hail. Strong and gusty westerly winds reaching gale force above 1200 metres – I may be able to see snow from Lake Burley Griffin wink.gif

Matt,

Thanks for the reply, the single auto ratchet didn't work to well as it didn't release quick enough, so I changed back to standard before the race. I am saving for the parts to buy a 9:1 like the Viper.

The race was abandoned due to the conditions but a Hobie 16 and I went for a sail anyway. Average wind was 18kts with regular gusts up to 35kt, water, air temp 8C and driving rain. The worst conditions I have sailed in my new (to me) Taipan but with mast rotation at 0, cunningham fully on and out-haul fully on with the old pin head main it felt OK.

I was getting tea bagged in the lulls a bit and after half an hour I had to come in as I was starting to freeze up. Overall it was a good day to see what the Taipan could do on a bad day on Lake Bloody Gusty.

Jon

AUS 051

Harken Australia must think we are bloody stupid here in Oz. They charge more wholesale than they retail for in the US. you can even go to their US website and they will ship to Oz for less than the Oz wholesale prices.

forget 9:1, 8:1 is much better on the taipan.

I would go with:

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/scpdinw1.ShowProd?409Z56LC7EO9Q

2654 40mm Carbo Quad Block

and:

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/scpdinw1.ShowProd?409Z56LC82NB6

2629 57 mm Carbo Triple Ratchamatic® w/Cam

Mount a 40mm single on top of the cleat and your all set.

Mauripro do a deal for $350usd orders its free freight. works out to be about 2/3 of the locals prices.

Thanks for the info,I bought my last Harken Ratchamatic from Mauripro but I sold it with the 4.5.

I’m thinking of going 9:1 as I have had several operations on my left shoulder and it fatigues easily.

Why would a 9:1 be worse on a Taipan?

- possibly slightly slower tacks as the sheet runs out (quality 8mm)?

Archived