F16 State Challenge

Hi all,

the annual Victorian F16 State Challenge will be held 5-6 April 08 at Portland. Sailors from all states welcome. After all, it's closer to S.A. than my home in Vic. so I expect to enjoy the company of some Crow Eaters biggrin.gif.

All cats that fit into F16 welcome, Blades, Vipers, Taipans, Mosquitos, Cobras etc. if you are not sure if your 5m or under cat is eligible just ask. With or without spinnaker welcome.

Thanks to the current holder of the Perpetual Trophy Gordon and Jenni on their Taipan, for organising the time and location, more info as we get closer.

Regards Gary.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Notice of race is complete. PM me your email and I can send it to you.

Asking around it looks like there will be 10 plus Vic boats and about 1/2 that from S.A.. Made up of Blades, Taipans, Mossies and the first Vic. appearance of the Viper?

Greg hopes to have the second boat in OZ there, to my dissapointment, he hasn't taken the challenge of racing me one up on it , but intends for his sons Brett and Liam to sail it . They will be hard to beat, with Bett's experience crewing the Capricorn and Liam being a top cat rig Taipan skipper, never mind the fact they have sailed nearly everything on two hulls since they could walk. They will be hot .

I have been trying to tell Greg he should sail Liam's cat rig Taipan, as it will be available , but no luck yet . This is looking like the biggest F16 event in OZ so far, so if you are interested in F16 make sure you are there.

--------------------

Regards Gary.

Hi all,

some accom. details.

Thankyou for your enquiry into Portlands only Beachfront Van & cabin Park. We are situated 5 kilometres form the centre of town, on the north shore.

Prices are as follows:

unpowererd site for 2 people are $20.00 per night

powered site for 2 people are $25.00 per night

budget cabins with shower and toilet for 2 people $60.00

A 10% discount is availble for those staying 2 nights or more by mentioning that they are comming down for the F-16's

If you have any further queries please contact me either by phone, fax, email or snail mail. My contact details are at the end of this email.

Kind Regards,

Wendy Cauchy

Proprietor

Henty Bay Beach Front

Van & Cabin Park

342 Dutton Way

Portland

Victoria

Ph: (03) 5523 3716

Fax: (03) 5523 3186

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

weather forecast looks OK for Sat. Sun. Temp. around 20 degrees, offshore winds around 8-14 knots, seas shouldn't be a problem in what the locals tell me is a sheltered bay. Well that is my reading of the forecast from. www.seabreeze.com.au Check it out for 7 day wind and wave forecasts.

Looks like great spinnaker conditions .

I will be leaving Paynesville Tuesday as I have to tow the Blade to Echuca first, work conference . Then will leave Echuca for Portland Friday, will have towed boat aprox. 920km to get there. Not bad when you think this is all in the second smallest state in OZ.

It is going to be a difficult conference, day dreaming about sailing all the time.

Won't be back to computer till Monday, so just hang on for results or see you there .

Oops just realized this weather sounds like what I posted for Easter regatta. Looks like I will Jinx the forecast again .

---------------------

Regards Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Gordon sent me the attached results with a bit more detail of boat types. Sure you all want the most info. available

F-16 Vic States Portland 5th & 6th.April 2008

Scratch Results Progressive

Sail No. Boat Type Skipper Boat Name State Yacht Club 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Points in brackets Position

AUS 113 Viper F-16 Sloop L. Goodall Viper 1 Victoria PMYC 3 1 1 1 3 3 1 1 (8) 1

AUS 404 Blade F-16 Cat T. Barrett The Pork Hunt South Aust ASC 6 3 3 4 1 1 3 2 (13) 2

AUS 400 Blade F-16 Cat G. Maskiell Formula Cat Aus Victoria GLYC 1 7 2 6 8 5 4 DNF (25) 3

AUS 332 Taipe F-16 Cat D. James ? South Aust ASC 2 2 5 11 DNF 2 9 5 (25) 4

AUS 405 Blade F-16 Cat M. Towell Vertigo South Aust VHYC 9 9 8 5 2 4 2 4 (25) 5

AUS 322 Taipan Sloop w/kite* G. Barrett Tasi Oki Victoria FYC 5 5 6 8 7 10 5 3 (31) 6

AUS 65 Taipan Sloop w/kite* J. McDonald Macatak Victoria FYC 4 8 7 3 6 7 6 6 (32) 7

1789 Mosquitto Cat w/kite* N. Joiner Immunity Victoria GLYC 7 5 4 9 4 11 11 8 (37) 8

AUS 334 Taipan Sloop w/kite* C. Johnson 4 Play Victoria FYC DNF 11 9 2 9 8 8 7 (43) 9

AUS 259 Taipan Cat w/kite ** J. Demeo Where the Fox Victoria AWYC 8 4 11 7 DNF 6 10 DNF (46) 10

1775 Mosquitto Cat w/kite* T. Shepperd Karma Cat Victoria GLYC 10 10 10 10 5 9 7 9 (50) 11

1740 Mosquitto Cat w/kite* M. Kirby Jurassic Karp Victoria WYC DNC DNC DNC 12 10 12 12 10 (69) 12

* Denotes standard boat with addition of a kite

** Ran old style "pin head" main

Conditions where first 5 races Sat. Flat water shifty gusty offshore wind starting at average 8 knots building to 15kts and dying out to 8 knots again. Last 3 races Sunday on shore winds with small swell and building chop, winds starting av.8 knots building to 12 knots. Nearly all races the wind was strong enough for trapezing upwind nearly all the time, for most sailors. All races windward and returns 2laps with finish times as short as 20 minutes.

Quick conclusions from the regatta from my view point are.

Starts where important with short races, fairly obvious I guess.

The best crewed boat won.

The difference in straight line speed, between different designs in the conditions was negligible.

Between 10 and 15 knots the difference between one up and two up boats is crew work.

One up and two up boats can race very closely.

Trapezing down wind, one or two up is the fastest way , once wind is sufficent, aprox. 10 knots when sailing with swell and only made bigger difference as wind increased to 15 knots. One and two up boats where seen trapezing downwind, sailing 5 degrees lower and faster than those sitting on the side.

Nearly every body had a look at the front at some stage, with many finishes only seconds seperated positions.

The Mossies where allways ready to show the Faster? F16's when they made a mistake, by leading around the first mark on one occasion and passing many down wind .

The South Australians will be hard to beat in the future as they get more experience on F16's. Tony had never sailed a Blade before, Danny had not sailed for 2 months and still recovering from foot operation, Marcus hadn't sailed a Blade since Zandvoort.

--------------------

Regards Gary.

Blade F16

Formula Catamarans Australia.

Archived