Sauna Sail next gathering of F16's

Hi all,

looks like a few F16's will be attending the Sauna Sail Queens Birthday Weekend June 7,8,9th. The 2 newest F16's will be their FCA Blade, AHPC Viper, along with the usual gang of Taipans and Mossies. Should be the usual fun and bedlam that only the hot water of the Hazelwood pondage can provide in winter, hope to see all the spinnaker cats racing together. So mark it on your calendar. cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So 26 boats in our division mixed fast cats. A's, Tornies, F18's, Taipans, Hobie 18 and two F16's. Greg on Viper one up and my brother and I on FCA Blade two up (crew weight aprox 150kg).

Courses where 2 triangles, 2 windward returns. Water flat and about 24degrees . Winds where generally light, max gusts of about 12 knots for a few seconds . Very shifty all weekend as hot water effects the wind when it is not strong. Despite being born and bred at Hazelwood (my dad came up with the idea of a Sauna Sail regatta)I couldn't come to grips with the shifts and lost more upwind from poor choices and too many tacks than boat speed.

One ups dominated the weekend with the A's leading the way most races, Greg was in the mix but never really challenged the front A's just to many of them. I must say it was frustrating to watch Greg sail away down wind in the light stuff, now I know how I have made others feel for years.

I was happy with the two up performance of the FCA Blade, by the end of the weekend we where going faster in the light stuff, as I came to grips with how best to sail 2up and I think this showed despite the smaller fleet on the last day, as we almost got line honours against the best Tornie and A. We where very competitive against the Tornado's and F18's most races and with the best F18 just back from 3rd. in the Tiger worlds they where hard to beat.

Am really looking forward to sailing the FCA Blade two on trapeze upwind one day. Trapezing was very brief over the weekend, although we did twin trap once on a tight reach with the kite up for about 30 seconds.

Long wait for next regatta August maybe?

Regards Gary.

Archived