Nacra 5.8 Mainsail Downhaul

dwl

I;ve 2 questions. I've just purchased a 2nd hand Nacra 5.8 (Sail# 1602, 1999 vintage) , after sailing my 1998 vintage 5.0 (which is for sale by the way) for the past 4 years(Crew grew up, I grew Out) -

Q1:- Anyway I've just dry rigged this weekend and one big difference I noticed that the previous owner has, was how he has rigged his downhaul compared to my 5.0. On the 5.8 He basically has the rope run through a jam cleat on the gunwhale to a single pulley on the tramp about 6 inches from mast base, back to a single pulley next to the cleat on gunwhale, then back to another single pulley on tramp at foot of mast, then up to a single pulley on top hole on mainsale, back to single pulley on the foot of mast, and back through the bottom hole of mainsail. Is this good/bad/ indifferent? I'm used to the whole assembly being on the mast from my 5.0 (ie 2 fixed single pulleys on mast, the movable single runner/jam cleat and double pulley in top hole of mainsale)

Q2:- I notice that the mainsail doesn't have the outhaul car/assembly. It has the simple holes in clew plate/hook on mainsheet the same as my 5.0. Should I put outhaul car and track on or is that old hat with 5.8's these days?

Thanks in Advance

Doug Lucock

Kurnell Catamaran Club

Q1: The pulleys on your tramp, and on the gunwhale, should be for your mast rotation system, its so that your can bring the mast around further than mounting the pulley's on the main beam.

The down haul should have 2 swivel blocks mounted on the base of the mast, and have at least an 8:1 purchase. If they are missing, you should purchase them.

Q2. outhaul cars went out after some one proved they were not required (by beating the fleet hands down) all the sail shaping can be done with the downhaul and the mainsheet anyway.

Doug,

Please ignore hoods comments about the pulleys and cleats on the tramp. The pulley on the tramp and the cleat out near the deck ARE for the downhaul. The line is started near the cleat then through the pulley and back to the cleat. The second part of the line is then taken through the pulley in the tramp and then up through the mast. You only have 6:1 on the mast but with the double purchase out to the cleat this makes 12:1 downhaul. this is now standard on the 5.8. Hood is right about the outhaul though. It was proven many years ago, that the hook in the clewboard is simpler and just as effective.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Bris Cat Centre

Guest dwl@ozemail.com.au

Thanks for the quick replies guys - While I'm on a roll I may as well use all this great knowledge.....Rudder Rake - Do you measure it same as with 5.0 (ie hold batton down the transom of boat and draw line on rudder)...and if so....what is standard measurement?

Doug Lucock

KCC

www.kcc.ozehosting.com.au

Archived