Hooters & Screachers

Guest Inland Sailor

Guest Inland Sailor

Just like some info on Hooters & Screachers

Does anybody out there have any definitive answers to what makes these sails different from an asymmetrical spinaker?

Why can they be furled and spinakers need to be dropped?

Does a formula exist in calculating the appropriate size hooter. Eg - 90% of spinnaker size etc.

What fabric is best?

What are the benifits/disadvantages of both types of sails.

Just considering my options here.

Tri

Guest Inland Sailor

Yes, I know my question was open to interpretation!!!! BUT apart from HOOTERS!!! of the mammalian type and SCREACHERS!!!!of the type we all hear about. can there be a response thet can answer the questions on a sailing level.

Blondes are always welcome on my boat and thats why i want some real answers. you can never get enough crew and if the screacher/hooter set up can help - why not!!!!.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest journeyman

No one else seems to have taken a stab at this, so I'll give it a go. Maybe it'll encourage someone who has the difinitive answer to post.

A hooter is carried on a spinnaker pole, while a Genoa is attached to the forestay, like a working jib, only that the clew comes further aft. Relative to the working jib, I believe a hooter is larger than a genoa. They are also lighter than Genoas.

Hooters seem to be more like spinnakers in construction than jibs. They also are primarily designed for off-wind performance. Not knowing much about sail design, that would lead me to believe that they are cut fuller than Genoas.

Archived