Replace gudgeon

WillH

I recently bought a Caper cat that had a gudgeon that had been ripped out. It has the original cast aluminium rudders, so I guess that would be a common problem. Anyway, when I drilled what was left of the old rivets that attached the gudgeon, I found the holes in the alloy plate inside the hull were pretty big, so i was thinking the hole might be too big for the rivets. So i thought I'd cut a little hole in the top of the hull to allow me to get a washer and a nut on the back of plate and then put a stainless screw through from the front. No problems doing this, but then I thought maybe it's better having a rivet there so if you do hit something hard that's where it breaks and is simple to repair rather than something else breaking like a rudder casting or whatever that would be hard to fix. Any thoughts / suggestions?

Agree the kick up rudders would be good - might be a project for further down the track if the cast ones cause too many problems. I ended up putting sealed aluminium rivets in. Just figured drilling out an SS screw would be hard and would have to cut the hull again to replace. I put a SS washer behind the alloy plate so the rivet has a correctly sized hole to grab onto. Seems to be solid, so we'll see. Might use nylon gudgeon pins for the lower gudgeon (and carry spares) and SS for the top. Figure bottom ones could break, but would want the top ones to hold so rudders don't end up at bottom of the ocean

Archived