How do Tigers get around the Max Width Law for the Trailers

Ok, I did some research, and it l0oks like you have to apply for a permit.

The hobie isnt over by much only 4 inches, and most cops would not notice. But if you do get caught the fines are as follows.

http://scaletext.law.gov.au/html/pastereg/1/634/top.htm

12 (2) A person convicted of an offence under these Regulations for

breaching a condition, except in the circumstances referred to in

subregulation 12 (3), is liable to a penalty not exceeding $2,000 for an

individual or $10,000 for a body corporate.

If you had a tilt trailer, it would not have to go very high to get down to 2.5m

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 09 May 2002).]

Thanks for the fine info. Not to put the police down but I towed a boat that was over by about a foot & got pulled up. first time for towing. As he ran a tape over the rear end it came out about 5ft. the policeman said that different its looks bigger than that, your ok on your way. with a thanks for your time I couldn't get out of their quick enough. Weather he was being nice or what just some times they do check. though I've never been checkrd with the tiger.

kevlar

The QLD traffic rules state that no trailer can be registered over 2.5 m but an overwidth indivisible load can be carried on a legal trailer with a permit. You can get a Tiger on a 2.5m trailer.

My permit stipulates that the trailer must be towed by a specified vehicle. I just keep the permit in my glovebox.

I dont know if the rules have changed or its just different in TAS, but a few years ago I knew a guy with a Tornado, he lost 3 of them on tilt trailers, with his last boat, he put it onto a flat trailer, and got a permit. I remember the trailer having a big yellow/black sign about being over wide.

I understand most of the T guys now dismantle their boats for transport.

Yah, what a major pain in da ARSE !!

The guy at our club that sails a 5.7 Taipan

must have stirred up a hornets nest when he insisted that his boat go on a tilt trailer.

Apparently they must exceed the 2.5 max limit marginally, but as stated prior, most ppl just conveniently ignore this factor.

Tilt trailers.....

Personally I just could never be arsed with them.

pfffffffffft !!!

smile.gif

Archived