Retro Sailing

Emmessee

I have been sailing all my life, on everything from Manly Juniors, Moths, Lasers, Nacra's, Tornado's and also 18 footers.

I wanted to get back into sailing but the price of boats in Australia is rediculous. I can't justify $25k on a boat.

Second-hand was then the next option, but all the classes are changing and dying. The Nacra 5.8 was meant to be a one-design racing machine, but if I get a second hand one it is over weight, got the wrong jib on it or if it has a front foil, then I need to get a kite for it.

Soon it will have a new square topped main and that will take it to the 4th generation.

So I decided to go retro. I bought a Maricat 4.3 and now discovered that it is a class that is old, but re-grouping and looking like a bit of fun.

I will be only sailing to make up the numbers, but it is cheap and fun.

I think more sailors should look at the older classes for themselves and kids.

Let's go retro.

Emmessee

Good on you John,

I had a Maricat 4.3 in NZ over 20 years ago and it is amazing these boats are still around. Catsailor has supplied a great deal of equipment to sailors such as you who are looking to sail for fun and want a cheap boat.

I know Graeme Heap has spent a great deal of time and effort to get the class going and he deserves a pat on the back.

Happy sailing

Guest Macca208

I second emmesees opinion, I have done a lot of sailing both here and OS and i can't see why these little boats are not more popular, i think everyone is caught up in going faster on bigger boats, but when you look at the cost/fun factor of a Maricat it is hard to beat, I have just bought one for $800 with a Gal trailer, sailbox and beach wheels, the sails are fine and are even in cool retro colours! plus i can rig the thing in ten mins by myself!

I say GO RETRO!

• 3 months later...

i have a mari 4.3 that i sail at lithgow in our club championship it's a great little boat. purchased it last winter for $350 on a gal trailer. it was in a padock and hadn't been sailed for a while. spent a few afternoons tricking it up for racing and have taken out the club spring championship with it this year.we have a lot of laser's in our club and the handicap of my 5.8 makes it very hard to beat them on our little bit of water, but the maricat handicap is very good to knock off laser's (bath tubes).they are a fun cheap boat, but you still carn't beat that nacra 5.8 feeling. my 4.3 has a sail number 0f 630 it's got the old style sail shape which hurts it up wind but on a reach and down wind it halls ase.

Far out, she is an old one if that is the original sail number.

Is the rearbeam on an angle with a seperate traveller track or on an angle with it incorporated?

I have spent a little on my boat and centred the traveller cleat, put a 6-1 doen haul and ordered new sails which is what most of the guys in Sydney are doing.

They have built up a pretty good fleet now and expecting quite a few over Easter at Lake Macquarie.

hi guys, I still have my maricat and managed a 1st on handicap at Kurnell Cat club the other week against allsorts of boats from A's, nacras large and small and the Taipans too, Retro is the way to go....

I way in at 98kgs wet and still have fun, Wayne the current class champ sails there occasionaly and we would like to see some more maricats at Kurnell on Sundays...

cheers dave "skye"

• 1 month later...

The Maricat got me back into sailing too. I'd sailed mono's and bought and raced a 'B' Quest for a while (quick but a pain in the a$$ to tow and rig) then had a break to do the family thing. Bought the Mari for $600 and did many States and Nationals, sailing and camping at places like Vincentia, Lake Illawarra, Forster, Tookley, Painsville (Vic.), Malang (SA.), Yarrawonga, and even Lake Cargelligo. Had a fantastic time and the people in the Mari Assn. were/are just a wonderful bunch. Too good.

Bern

Archived