back injuries and trapezing

QB2

Does anyone have any sure fire tips for strengthening the lower back to insure you don't cause further injury when trapezeing?

I had two weeks off after throwing out my hip and then managed to fall on my bum a week later injuring my tailbone. A fortnight on and its still hell sitting or driving. Standing and lying down are OK but trying to stand up or sit down is painfull.

I haven't had my newish cat in the water since September but am wary of trying to do too much and reinjuring myself.

I am hoping for sons/hangers-on etc to remove cat from trailer and rig while I sit back and direct.

suggestions?

1. Go see a good chiropractor

2. Get one of those large exercise balls and take yourself to a gym for pointers on strengthening exercises

3. Get a GOOD harness. I bought one of the new black series magic marine harnesses from this website and it is brilliant.

I had a back injury 3 years ago and every week i would have a dull ache until tues/wed after sailing. Since I did the above and haven't been better in 3 years. Hope this helps a bit.

Lower back exercises down every day will make a big difference. One easy one is to lie on your stomach and arch you back upwards slowly and gently. Hold for a few sec and repeat the exercise. If there is pain due to an injury, use you arms to support you until the lower back can support your weight. Doe this maybe 8-10 times a few times a day. To help stretch your back lie on your back this time, stretch one leg across the body and twist the upper body in the opposite direction. Repeat on the other side. Alternate each time and once again do this 8-10 times a few times each day. Sit ups will also help. Do them with your legs bent. The ball idea is a good one. Sit on it watching tv and this will help the lower parts. Hope this helps.

Archived