shark

Emmessee

The boat was originally a class in England and throughout the UK.

From the website:

The Shark is the classic catamaran designed in 1962 by JR Macalpine-Downie. This boat dominated the attention of the racing world at its introduction with its performance in all kinds of conditions, from heavy airs to zephyrs. It was a design far ahead of its time, with ability to go to weather and tack with ease. The best way to describe a Shark today in the world of high performance catamarans, is to steal a quote that was once heard from an Inter 20 sailor. In the present day of auto racing a Shark is a "57 Chevy with a blower". Exciting to race and you can take the whole family out afterwards. A true classic. Over 100 square feet of usable deck and trampoline space. The wood trampoline is lower than the decks for seating comfort. There is plenty of room and buoyancy for six people to go sailing. The mainbeam-bridgedeck structure eliminates twisting betwen the hulls, making the boat rigid. Four large storage compartments in the bridgedeck, plus hatches aft of the rearbeam provide additional storage and ventilation. Shark hulls present minimum wetted surface for high performance. Their high buoyancy provides a drier ride and prevents pitchpoling. Pivoting centerboards and rudders allow easy beaching without sacrificing performance to weather. The Shark folds in minutes to a trailerable package which is no wider than your vehicle.

These boats look great, but I was more interested in the photo gallery, that showed the RC model Sharks.

I am planning on building my own RC yacht, for those days when the real thing cant happen. Initially, I was thinking of a US 1m design which is a mono hull design like the old 12m boats. However, looking at these photos has now inspired me to do a scale model of my Nacra 5.8.

What are the legal requirements/copywrite etc on doing something like this?

None I would say as long as you are not selling them and using their logo.

What you are building is a scale model and will be nothing like the real thing.

If you copy exact and just make an exact copy but 1/10th the size, they own that design, no matter what the size.

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 19 February 2007).]

Pete,

The Kiwi "Tiger Shark" was designed by the designer of the Paper Tiger, Ron Given. It looked like a PT stretched to 18ft long, complete with the hard chines of the PT. I have only seen one in the flesh, but from memory it had twin trapezes.

Again, from memory, their were four classes designed along similar lines, including the very small "Tiger Cub". However, none of them really took off as a class except the Paper Tiger.

I agree though, the Shark you are talking about here is a fine looking boat for its age.

Regards,

Dave Stumbles

Paper Tiger Catamaran International Association

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply/info.

Like you ,I have only seen one Tiger Shark on the water,and that was at Maraetai, a sailing club about 25K out of Auckland,a real Do-it-yourself sailing venue. Really nice people, who would do any thing to help.Most of the sailors built their own boats, and had the added advantage of a beautiful protected beach to launch from.

pete.

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 19 February 2007).]

• 9 months later...

Originally posted by Emmessee:

The boat was originally a class in England and throughout the UK.

From the website:

The Shark is the classic catamaran designed in 1962 by JR Macalpine-Downie. This boat dominated the attention of the racing world at its introduction with its performance in all kinds of conditions, from heavy airs to zephyrs. It was a design far ahead of its time, with ability to go to weather and tack with ease. The best way to describe a Shark today in the world of high performance catamarans, is to steal a quote that was once heard from an Inter 20 sailor. In the present day of auto racing a Shark is a "57 Chevy with a blower". Exciting to race and you can take the whole family out afterwards. A true classic. Over 100 square feet of usable deck and trampoline space. The wood trampoline is lower than the decks for seating comfort. There is plenty of room and buoyancy for six people to go sailing. The mainbeam-bridgedeck structure eliminates twisting betwen the hulls, making the boat rigid. Four large storage compartments in the bridgedeck, plus hatches aft of the rearbeam provide additional storage and ventilation. Shark hulls present minimum wetted surface for high performance. Their high buoyancy provides a drier ride and prevents pitchpoling. Pivoting centerboards and rudders allow easy beaching without sacrificing performance to weather. The Shark folds in minutes to a trailerable package which is no wider than your vehicle.

The Tiger Shark was produced by Tiger Boats in foam core. Approx 30 were made. Tiger boats also made the foam core versions of the Paper Tiger.

I have had several versions of the PT.

I have just purchased my second Tiger Shark.

This is the fastest reaching catamaran I have ever experienced.

The second fastest was an Australian Attunga, 20 foot. The boat was designed in the late 50s for the Little Americas cup and one took the cup from the long time winning Evones.

Mine was a home build made in 1959 and was very similar to the later Shark design in that it had hard decks, a big front beam wing section and broke in two for transport. The hulls however were hard chined like the P.T and T.S.

THese three hard chined catamarans all plain easily.

All will know the PT races against the turboed 14s on an equal level and would be impossible for them with a jib.

For this reason I have gotten this last Tiger Shark to try for an all out personal reaching speed at a speed week if I can find one.

If someone can tell me how to load a photo I will.

Archived