Ime con-fuzed

tgh

So , I'm looking at buying a litle cattermeerann and having a bit of a sail.

I have dug out all my old rule books and I'm trying to remember who runs down who and who pays ..

But I can't work out the heirachy.. so if you have a merklberking cat and that has an association.. how does the whole process work ??

Is there a peak body for beach cat sailing ?

How do the endless different associations relate to each other?

How are the handicaps doled out ? Is it just up to a sponsoring club to decide what yardstick and what exceptions ??

HI tgh,

No.1 Get(beg,borrow or buy) in reasonable condition, a catamaran and trailer.

No.2 Phone first, then go to local sailing club.

No.3 Ask who is the head honcho,and make yourself known.

No.4 You will usually be welcomed with open arms, and have everything explained.

No.5 ENJOY.

At least thats how it should be.

pete smile.gif

On the question of yardsticks, it is my experience sailing a Nacra 4.5 at various clubs/events around SE QLD that they just use the VYC figures.

http://www.yachtingvictoria.com.au/site/yachting/vic/downloads/Yardsticks05_06%20new3.pdf

There is some adjustment required if there is a class variation, e.g. addition of spinnaker. The variation is usually at the discretion of the club.

Brad

tgh,

if you end up sailing out of Cleveland. Your initial racing will be on VYC yardstick, after a few races your yardstick will be adjusted to give you a personal yardstick which will be higher than the scratch yardstick for your cat.

As for rules of the road--all the other sailors will be more than happy to yell the rules at you when you get it wrong. Best bet--stay out of the way until you know your rules.

Josh

here are some rules that I have found that have been written in a fairly simple way (not by me)

1 PORT KEEPS CLEAR OF STARBOARD

2 WINDWARD KEEPS CLEAR OF LEEWARD

3 THE BOAT ASTERN OF THE BOAT AHEAD

4 THE BOAT TACKING OR GYBING KEEPS CLEAR OF THE ONE THAT IS NOT

5 AVOID COLLISIONS ... RACING RULES ARE DEFENSIVE TO PREVENT COLLISIONS, NOT OFFENSIVE RACING TACTICS

6 IF YOU GAIN RIGHT OF WAY OR CHANGE COURSE, GIVE THE OTHER BOAT TIME TO KEEP CLEAR

7 THE INSIDE BOAT(S) AT 2 BOAT LENGTHS FROM THE MARK IS ENTITLED TO ROOM TO ROUND THE MARK

8 THE BOAT THAT IS BACKING UP OR NOT RACING KEEPS CLEAR

9 IF YOU HAVE VOILATED A RULE TAKE A PENALTY

10 IT IS BETTER TO GIVE WAY THAN SPEND HOURS IN A PROTEST ROOM

HOPE THAT THIS HELPS ... I FOUND THESE IN A AYF NEWSLETTER.

Archived