windrush rudder setup?

Sean70

Hi,

Can someone help me with pics or a description of how I should have the rudders setup on the windrush (surfcat14)?

At present the tiller bar between the rudders moves freely when the rudders are up in the horizontal position, but when locked down in the vertical (which is how I assume they should be for sailing) the tiller bar is down and will not move freely as it rubs against the top of the hulls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean70 (edited 19 April 2006).]

While I do not own a Windrush now, I encountered the same problem. I rectified the problem by getting a bronze bush that fitted over the pivot shaft and cutting it to a suitable length and placing these in between the rudder casing and the pintle brackets, thereby raising the rudder casings up and clearing the decks.

Rgds High Flying

• 1 month later...

This problem is usually caused by wear (elongation) in the rudder pivot hole. Quick fix, with rudders up undo 2 screws in stainless strip, cut 1 or 2 strips frm plastic ice cream container (or similar) 3-4 inches long ,fix under stainless strip, add strips of plastic packing to desired tiller clearance above hull. Long term fix, remove rudders, fill elongated holes and redrill

Originally posted by Sean70:

Hi,

Can someone help me with pics or a description of how I should have the rudders setup on the windrush (surfcat14)?

At present the tiller bar between the rudders moves freely when the rudders are up in the horizontal position, but when locked down in the vertical (which is how I assume they should be for sailing) the tiller bar is down and will not move freely as it rubs against the top of the hulls.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean70 (edited 19 April 2006).]

Originally posted by NickS:

Stuffed up somehow.

What I wanted to post was; I had a similar problem with my rudders on the Windrush and found the problem to be the rollers that contact/ follow the top of the rudder blade on a stainless steel strip. Over time the central hole in the roller wears and the hole enlarges causing the tiller arm to sit lower. With mine the roller pin was also bent causing it to sit lower still and the bearing surfaces of the pin had elongated. The roller is an easy fix, either buy one for a few dollars from Windrush Yachts http://windrushyachts.com.au/ and also the pin if it's bent or you can make them if you have access to a lathe. The wearing of the bearing surface was fixed by filling the holes with that nead it metal repair stuff from a hardware store but a better suggestion would be to drill it and fit a larger roller pin. At least I still have that option if the other stuff fails. A diagram of the rudder and it's bits can be found at http://au.geocities.com/windrushassociation/page_tipsandinfo/deeprudders.html and the parts I am referring to are numbers 10 and 11

Archived