Help Maricat Tramp Problem

Catherine

The trampoline net on my maricat has a bolt rope running along each side of it. The net is then secured to the hull by placing the bolt rope under a flat aluminium strip which is then riveted to the hull. With age the fibreglass hull under the aluminium strip is starting to crack allowing the boltrope and net to come away from the hull.

How can I stop the net coming away from the hull?

hi again

if the glass is cracking the only thing that you can do is fix the glass. sounds odd that the glass would crack there. has any body else had or herd of that happening. it might be that the rop is too skinny or the pop riverts are loose and allowing the the strip to flex open. i'm sure that we will come up with an answer for you shortly. REV

I would have to say that there could be two ways to fix your problem Catherine.

Firstly, the aluminium strip may be loose, as in lifted away from the deck slightly. If this is the case, take them off and clean it up and re-rivet them on. It is not a hard job and only takes about half an hour. When you have the tracks off, you will also be able to see if they have bent slightly over the years which could also cause the bolt rope to slip out.

Secondly, and what I think could be the main problem, is the bolt rope has over time worn itself thin and that is why it slips out. To fix this, go to a sail maker and he or she can put in a slightly thicker rope. This would not cost very much at all.

Good luck with it.

catherine,

Again the rivets used are alloy that hold the track on to the boat due to age they may also started to corrode allowing movement of track allowing bolt rope to slip out or again you may need to repair glasswork...

a modification that is popular and used by National champ wayne on Prima Facie is to use a length of bolt rope track in place of the original setup glassed in (also stops water entry into hulls through corroded rivets)

cheers

dave

Archived