8 to 1 Downhaul for Mari 4.3

shy thunder

8 to 1 Downhaul for Maricat 4.3

A solution, works for me.....

At the base of the mast on either side mount “RF5” Swivelling Cleat.

At the base secured by shackle to casting place the “RF20302” triple block.

On the Goosneck fitting place two long D shackles, bow to top “RF622”s these secure two Double blocks “RF20202” through the hole where factory shackle locates, with one toe strap plate “RF559” (oops.. had wrong plate part number) on rearward side away from mast, spacing the blocks (should be ideal spacing with outside cheeks of each block just touching together).

Approx. 7m to 8m of low stretch cord or length to suit your needs. When running cord at mid point on bottom block place 180Degree twist so that main pressure from top blocks down to either swivelling cleat is from the same direction from mast side on both sides.

easy fix with all items off the shelf.

cheers

d

[This message has been edited by shy thunder (edited 22 November 2004).]

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, Thanks for that information. Very useful to have the numbers for the various parts. I will upgade my downhaul system along the line you suggest. I currently have 6:1 which seems to have enough purchase, except I can't change it from the windward hull. Will the 8:1 be too harsh on my little orange retro number? After 24 seasons the cloth feels somewhat fragile!!! However, I reckon it will be ideal for the Cairns. Do most of the racing Maricats have 8:1 downhauls?

hi,

most use 6:1, but some now going to full allowed purchase of 8:1.

Allows you to go to smaller control line = less weight verses slightly mor weight in blocks etc.

biggest advantage is not having to busta gut pulling it on....

easy to control while hiking out and adjusting at the same time...

I tie mine off on unused loop for jib block or tie off to stay for easy reach etc

I also have a good solution for vang which I will post later on.

When I figure out how to post photos for everyone I will....

cheers

dave

• 3 weeks later...

Pete,

I placed the swivel cleat up sufficiently to clear the vang control lines etc and rivetted through the mast slightly fwd of sail track so that rivets are in mast (adjacent to rear web of extrusion for max. strength) hollow , hope that helps, remember that you usually operate line from windward side so vang lines not an issue but because of line pull from top blocks the swivel cleats will always face to rear of mast whilst under pressure and they should not interfere or be activated by other control lines...

cheers

d

will be getting photos of boat setup this sunday...

[This message has been edited by shy thunder (edited 17 December 2004).]

Dave

Thanks for that. I was concerned that hauling on the downhaul from the windward hull might cause the mast to de-rotate. guess this is not an issue.

Interesting you are trying more mast rotation. My mast track points at the shrouds, and the mast is an original 1981 vintage - so I have heaps of mast bend.

Look forward to viewing the photos.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave

I've been waiting for you to post the photo of your 8:1 downhaul arrangement - are you going to do that any time soon? If you can't figure out how to post the pic to this site could you email me a copy (info@heliro.com.au) - I would appreciate it very much.

Is the RF559 you mention a u-bolt? Whitworths couldn't find it in their catalogue.

Many thanks for all your info, it's a great help to me.

L

Originally posted by shy thunder:

8 to 1 Downhaul for Maricat 4.3

A solution, works for me.....

At the base of the mast on either side mount “RF5” Swivelling Cleat.

At the base secured by shackle to casting place the “RF20302” triple block.

On the Goosneck fitting place two long D shackles, bow to top “RF622”s these secure two Double blocks “RF20202” through the hole where factory shackle locates, with one toe strap plate “RF559” (oops.. had wrong plate part number) on rearward side away from mast, spacing the blocks (should be ideal spacing with outside cheeks of each block just touching together).

Approx. 7m to 8m of low stretch cord or length to suit your needs. When running cord at mid point on bottom block place 180Degree twist so that main pressure from top blocks down to either swivelling cleat is from the same direction from mast side on both sides.

easy fix with all items off the shelf.

cheers

d

[This message has been edited by shy thunder (edited 22 November 2004).]

Archived