water in the mast (long after being turtled)

cat scratch fever

I pulled the mast head and base off my old mari after noticing corrosion.

I drilled through a rivet and had several bucket loads of saltwater pour out.

After disassembly I found a black rubber sponge inside the mast and was told this was done by the factory to reduce water movement. I thought it was aiding corrosion by concentrating salt water in one area. I removed the sponge, dried out the mast and then re-riveted and sealed all the fittings. No further corrosion was noticed nor was there any water ingress. I made a point of resealing rivets and all fittings yearly.

One mari sailor told me he regularly put his mast on a slight slope, pressurized it with a pump plus attachment for inflating basketballs, through a hole in a rivet at the masthead and with a similar hole at the base to allow water to escape. When no more water came out he siliconed everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that - sounds all drastic action for what i guess can be a commonly occuring situation for most cat sailors - either new and inexperienced or experienced sailors pushing the limits.

Anyway i guess drilling a hole to get in is the way to go - it certainly has added some noticeable weight to the mast !!

Cheers

JC

Rather than cut a new hole through the mast remove (try with a small drill piece you can) an old rivet on the base, masthead or vang fitting. Drain the water and then re-rivet with the existing size or the next largest and reseal with silicon.. You are going to have to seal the mast as it will only fill up again the next time it gets dunked. Have a good look to see where water could get in, if in doubt give all fittings a light smear with silicon.

Rather than cut a new hole through the mast remove (try with the smallest drill piece you can) an old rivet on the base, masthead or vang fitting. Drain the water and then re-rivet with the existing size or the next largest and reseal with silicon.. You are going to have to seal the mast as it will only fill up again the next time it gets dunked. Have a good look to see where water could get in, if in doubt give all fittings a light smear with silicon.

Archived