Traveller problems

Steven C

Is there a better way of setting up your traveller. I have the original setup with a 2 pulley block and swivel cleat on the traveller car. I dont know whether the car (4 wheel) is just knackered or what but it won't budge without a good kick, cetainly not when the main sheet is on hard. Is there a "new way" to rig this so it can actually adjusted when you are moving...

Steven

Many of the Maricats racing now use a 6 wheel car that runs better. It can be adjusted while moving and under load.

The swivel cleat is mounted on a Pedistal Casting in the middle of the rear beam. This works on Mark 1 and Mark 2 Maricats and is much easier to use than having the cleat on the traveller car.

On ZAX I am using a 4 wheel car from Ronston rather than the 6 wheel car and it still runs ok. I am using the 4 wheel car as part of an overall effort to reduce the boat weight. The 6 wheel car does run better than the 4.

These parts are available online at

http://www.catsailor.net/index.html?c26.html&1

I have just replaced my 4 wheel rubber wheeled trolley car,that had the swivel cleat on top of the car and replaced it with the system that Zax has described but using the 6 wheeled car and this system is so much more effective.

The parts are not cheap, all up you are looking at around $200 from the Bris Cat Centre.

Thanks. It seems that part of the problem is the anlge of load on the traveller car. Because the traveller is at 45 degrees to the horizontal and the main sheet pulls up at 90 degrees, the car is being pulled sideways which does not allow the wheels to function properly.

Is this problem resolved with the "new" setup.

Steven

Archived