Wash sails or not wash

Pascal

Looks like there is different schools here.

Some say that fresh water is not good for the sail hence washing them after sailing in salt water is not good. Some religiously wash the sail in detail after each sailing drill.

I guess the concept is either fresh water is doing more damage than crystal of salt on the long run.

We do have a decent set of sails on our F18 and the idea is to do whatever it takes to keep them in pristine conditions.

Any ideas on that matter ? please share them with the community.

I sailed Hamilton Island race week with a sailmaker onboard and this question was asked of him, the answer was; if you wash sails with fresh water you must dry them out completely or bacteria will grow and permanently discolor the sail, if you don't wash the salt out it wont matter because the salt kills bacteria. He didn't mention wear fron crystallised salt so I expect this is a very minor concern.

Originally posted by PP:

I sailed Hamilton Island race week with a sailmaker onboard and this question was asked of him, the answer was; if you wash sails with fresh water you must dry them out completely or bacteria will grow and permanently discolor the sail, if you don't wash the salt out it wont matter because the salt kills bacteria. He didn't mention wear fron crystallised salt so I expect this is a very minor concern.

Very interesting..... Never heard this theroy before. I was always told that the salt cuts into the stitching of the sails as well as the tramp.

I have had salt attack our head and clew boards. We will continue to hose them down as often as we can, but insure they dry.

What cloth is the bacteria a problem with..... Darcon, Mylar or both

• 3 weeks later...

All I can add is this. I used to be lazy and not wash and they seemed to be fine and keep colour and no probs. I got a great new sail and got energetic. I washed that down after sailing and put the sail away for six months. Yes, I had dried it in the son, but not enough. For the first time ever I pulled the sail out and was shocked to find it marked badly by the little black spots we hate.

Oxy action did a good job but I am careful now.

Salt rules.

Originally posted by Pascal:

Looks like there is different schools here.

Some say that fresh water is not good for the sail hence washing them after sailing in salt water is not good. Some religiously wash the sail in detail after each sailing drill.

I guess the concept is either fresh water is doing more damage than crystal of salt on the long run.

We do have a decent set of sails on our F18 and the idea is to do whatever it takes to keep them in pristine conditions.

Any ideas on that matter ? please share them with the community.

• 1 month later...

When i did sailmaking years ago, all the guys told me to wipe my sails down with a damp cloth or sponge. This was because the dacron edging and the synthetic thread did not mix well with water and would stretch in a non-uniform manner. Whether or not this is true who knows?

But i have never had any problems with my sails following this policy.

• 5 years later...

Proper sail maintenance is easy and takes little time, but it can make a big difference in the life and performance of your sails. Whether you have new racing built from aramid or Dacron cruising sails that are several years old, a little care can maximize the value of your investment...

Archived