What could it be????

harold holt

after a long period of having my feet dry i have decided to get wet again and bought a 16' cat. The problem is figuring out exactly what it is. The guy i bought it off said it was a hurricane and after reading some of the posts here and a bit of web searching i came across the english hurricane, which it looks nothing like. After a bit more searching i thought it must be a hydra not a hurricane due to the sail markings but the hydra has swept under bow and this is straight up and down. But with so many things the same on my boat compared i am a bit baffled. The front beam is huge on mine as is with the hydra, the daggers are flip up and the deck design looks identical. I have heard that J&S marine produced three boats called hurricanes as an upgrade to the hydra with square top main, which mine has and twin trap. Does anybody know much about these? Thanks

hi "harold???",

j&s marine indeed made "hurricanes",it was a (pseudo) foam hulled cat, and as you state,not many were produced, the best i can do for you is to reccomend that you contact the Brisbane Catamaran Centre, they would be a good start, as they know a good deal about many cats.

pete smile.gif

• 1 month later...

A Hurricane designed and built by Ken Firth used to sail at Safety beach in the mid 80's. From memory, it had a slightly better yardstick than a Mozzie, its sail emblem was similiar to a Tornado except it had a H. I think this Hurricane was ply, 16" and usually slooped rigged with a crew of 2.

[This message has been edited by shwell (edited 17 January 2007).]

Archived