Season preparations

Whitewave

glad your boat is ok... what about others.

my understanding is that since the AGM is in the middle of the championships, if the new rules are voted in they could take effect from that point forward. Tony has already said that my setup will not be legal since he thinks its important to add shackles now to the bridle. So half way through the series I would have an illegal boat. Does not sound fun to me. When you say they come into effect next season, what exact start date is that?

my understanding is that since the AGM is in the middle of the championships, if the new rules are voted in they could take effect from that point forward. Tony has already said that my setup will not be legal since he thinks its important to add shackles now to the bridle. So half way through the series I would have an illegal boat. Does not sound fun to me. When you say they come into effect next season, what exact start date is that?

I note that Zax mentions :

1- 8:1 mainsheets. You should amend the rules to allow multiple hangers on the boom then. A triple block costs around $300, I've actually never seen a quad and would shudder to think how much that would cost.

2- Repairs have to allow anything. Epoxy is generally viewed as a far better solution than polyester for repairs. Polyester shrinks and it doesn't mechanically bond to itsef as well as epoxy. Who knows what super products might become available in the future.

The class is 'tricky' enough as it is with its multiple sub-classes and differing sail layouts and designs, don't rule it into oblivion.

Just to put this bridle topic to rest, I have had correspondence from the manufacturer. Quote: "The length including the shackle is critical. He said the bridle could be made longer but it should be kept standard with the shackle." Now since the association has a spec for the length of the bridle wire, that must still stand. However, just for these state titles, if you arrive with the bridle wire connected directly to the bow saddle, I will allow it, providing you have made it longer to account for the length of the shackle. Otherwise, do yourself a favour and fit it to the bow with a 3/16 shackle. There is a boat shop only a couple of Km from the Port Kembla Sailing club.

Sail hard...Sail fair.

Archived