which Cat

tc_sail

I want a cat which I (75kg) can sail solo, but can also race (at FYC) 2 up with my son(25kg). Need to be able to right it alone. I am looking at Hobie 18 but is this too big ?

Any comment/recommendation appreciated.

[This message has been edited by tc_sail (edited 29 January 2007).]

It is not too big but not a great boat to sail solo.

A H16 would carry you but a Nacra 5.0 would be a nice boat to sail one up.

A Nacra 5.2 is also great one up with only the main and a good two hander but not many race these days.

It is also what you can fit in your budget. A Nacra 4.5 would also do the trick as it can take 4 adults easily, but they are a tad more exxy and hard to find unless you want a new one.

Emmessee, what weight is this statement based upon? I found it difficult to right mine by myself(I weigh 80+kg), but I haven'had much practice - only had the sails wet once. It didn't help with the wind dying. I may need some advice for the future.

Richard

p.s. sorry to hyjack this post - the 5.0 is awsome one up in 12knots+ Very much recomended to a young family (my daughter is also 25kg)

Hey TC.

How about a Mosquito. They weigh 90kg fully rigged making them easy to right by yourself.

You can run a jib and sail two ppl both you and your sons weight will be a good weight, you can sail it by yourself cat rigged and if you get adventurous later on you can run a kite and really trouble some of the big boats.

I took my mossie out friday and sunday in 15-20knt winds with 1-1.5m swell and it had no problems handling the conditions

cheers

william

The ideal boat for you is a slooped rigged Maricat. Sail it one up or two. The ideal combined crew weight is about 108kg. It can be righted easily by someone 75kg. A reasonable second hand boat with old sails will cost you about $1000. A race ready boat will cost you up to $3000. There are lots of old Maricats around. The association is active and friendly. Look at the Maricat forum. A Windrush would also do the job.

tc,

'pointed reply' makes a lot of sense, start off in a smaller cat, see how you go, and when more experienced, look at where you want to be. I presume you are looking at Frankston Yacht Club, they seem to have a mixed fleet,.

don't go for to big a cat until you can handle a more suitable boat. Good Luck.

pete smile.gif

All good advice.

In the right conditions (12k +) I can get most boats upright.

The 5.0 in any condition but I am a big bloke.

If you have the budget I can't recommend the 4.5 enough. I have one and love it to bits. I can go out with my mates in a blow and still have a total buzz and also anytime single handed. No centreboards, furling jib, square top main and I pace the H16 easily.

But you have to have the budget.

The Maricat is good and cheap, Paper Tigers will do the job as will a Mozzie.

NACRA FIVE CATAMARAN Complete & Ready to go! Includes Main & Furling Jib with Barber Hauls, Twin Trapezes, Harnesses, Beach Rollers, Registered Trailer, Spare Wheel, Bearings & Sailbox, Fun, fast, very forgiving. GC $5,000 (07)55306612 Austinville

STATE: QLD FIRST PUBLISHED: 18 Jan 2007

SOURCE: Private Classifieds (Personal Trading Post)

Archived