Mast Corrosion

Yeti2300

After turning turtle in my Windrush and needing the help to get back up again, I have found the mast leaking at the fitting where the stays are connected. On removing the fitting I have found some corrosion and the holes in the mast a several drill sizes larger than the 1/4 inch holes in the fitting. Has anyone any ideas as to how this can be fixed? I do not want to replace the 1/4 inch pop rivets as I fear the stress on the rivets would be too much

hi yeti,

easy fix, if you can obtain a piece of mast or beam section to sleeve around your corroded area . We do this kind of thing on a regular basis, its all part of the job.

I see that you are in Melbourne, there should be a repairer in that great city,

if not give the Brisbane Cat Centre a ring, 07 32714944, and they should be able to send you a short section.

pete smile.gif

The cheapest fix is to remove all fittings invert the mast and refit. use oversize alloy rivets in the holes where the hound fitting was, and monel or stainless rivets for the refit. (use plenty of duralac to prevent further corrosion). The job should take about 30 min, and cost $30 including tube of duralac.

Archived