More on barging at the start line;

berny

There's been some discussion on barging on the Maricat forum and I thought I'd make a few further comments on starting here to get things rolling.

The start is a very important part of any sailboat race. Getting a good start puts you in a commanding position from the get go, which you can carry on with you through the race, if you play it out well. Barging is a dangerous practice and not a good way to start, and is at best a risky gamble which may or may not work and the worst scenario is you get pushed the wrong side of the start boat, meaning you have to tack away and jibe around for a second bite at the cherry which has now turned into a lemon. frown.gif

It's much better to set yourself up early and be in the best position for a good start in clear air on the line at the gun. The question now is, how do you know when you're on the line? Good question smile.gif. Ok so we need to know where the line is as we approach because if we don't, we're going to be late or early and possibly even OVER! Being over is bad because you can get recalled, and you have to go round an end and restart for a second bite at the lemon, not good.

The trick to knowing where the line is, is this. During your preliminary start evaluation process you sail beyond the end you plan on taking as your starting tack, i.e. if you plan to start on starboard tack go beyond the starboard end, line up the port end buoy with the starboard end buoy and pick a feature on the shore which lines up with both buoys. Now as you approach the start line from below, you'll know that as this shoreline feature begins to line up with the port end buoy, you are getting close to the line and if you need to run the line because you're a tad early you know which way to point your bow so you'll be running along the line. It's that simple.

Now all you need to know is whether to start at the port end on starboard, or on port at the starboard end, or on port at the port end, or at the starboard end on starboard? ( or should the be starboard at the start boat or...................?)

mmmmmmm maybe a topic for another discussion smile.gif

http://www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000025.html

Yes Darren that's true but the speed differential in 14ft fleets so far has been quite minimal and not a significant problem at the start. This is one of the distinct advantages of racing 14ftrs in that till now they are all quite reasonably matched for speed. There are however regattas where a 14 skipper may find him/herself in with a fleet of bigger boats when the speed differential is significant and that can create problems for the smaller boat.

Personally it's only happened to me once at Woy Woy as best as I can remember and frankly there's not a lot you can do (calling a 'T' from a 14 is a bit daunting, right of way notwithstanding), however I think you do need to try and find yourself some room at the windward end where the air is less disturbed, even if you're a tad late to the line, otherwise you're going to be in disturbed air for some considerable time until the bigger boats to windward of you get some distance ahead. Being at the windward end is still not a great position to be in because the bigger boats generally point better and you can still find yourself to leeward and in disturbed air as you progress up the windward leg but you do have the option of tacking away for clear air as needs dictate.

How about some tips from you Darren on starting in mixed fleets wink.gif

Bern

Ok Berny smile.gif

Certainly clear air means everything, its slow travelling in someone elses dirty air, and you dont need to prove it.

With that in mind I have found on a slower boat, a port start from the middle to the starboard end of the line can work well, normally the quicker boats clear out by the time your in a postion to cross them. So then you can go a few hundred meters, then tack back onto starboard with clear air, or continue on port if is favoured.

you will probably end up last off the line, but if all the other 14 footers are off playing with the bigger boats, you'll pick them up in no time.

Otherwise all the standard rules of thumb apply, dont get too far from the line, wind has a habbit of dieing and leaveing you stranded. Try to have good boat speed when you hit the line. Be on time.

If you know how to sail your boat up to the startline 30 seconds before the start and then sail with control backwards it will keep any size cat out of your way at the start. You have total right of way as all boats behind you are "overtacking boats" and have to give way and if you are accomplished at it, it will give you "slot position every time.

Yes I can see how it would pay off to be on port tack toward the starboard end so as to be to windward of the fleet after crossing and then have the option of tacking back to starboard with one tack but I see problems coming through the starboard tacking boats on the approach to the centre on port tack with no rights or am I missing something.

I've never tried that one Darryl, I generally have enough trouble getting my boat to go forwards smile.gif

Bern

It's real easy Berny, most sailors have done it regularly "in error" and usually panic a bit thereby never trying it on purpose. Have you ever had to back around to get out of irons to make a lost tack?? well the system is the same, but with a little practice it can be done with great control of the boat.

years ago, at Milang on picnic days. we would often have short races around a very small triangular course, where all the cats had to sail the course backwards (thats the boats sailing backwards not the course) It was brilliant fun and surprisingly quick, the fastest cat that ever sailed one of those courses every time was a Hobie 18, in fact we used to "kid" the owner that he would be better sailing all his regular races that way as he may then win!!!

Archived