What to buy

tar00na

I've read with interest the articles on various cats and am still leaning towards a H14 but somebody said they are very tippy. I will be sailing single handed most of the time in around Brisbane. The cat that interests me is the H14 Turbo. Any advice out there

Les

They are a good boat as long as you are light yourself and know how to sail them.

I am a big bloke and I can't keep the mast off the water as if you are too far back it will roll backwards, or too far forward they will go that way.

I have never actually capsized one by being blown over.

There is a plethora of 14 footers around to choose from that would be much more enjoyable to sail.

I'm selling a 26 ft mono hull as crew hard to get. So thought I'd get a cat to sail single handed. I have no preference for a Hobie. Looking advice on what is a reasonable boat about the 14 foot size as I have been told a H16 is a bit mof a handfull one up.

Originally posted by Emmessee:

They are a good boat as long as you are light yourself and know how to sail them.

I am a big bloke and I can't keep the mast off the water as if you are too far back it will roll backwards, or too far forward they will go that way.

I have never actually capsized one by being blown over.

There is a plethora of 14 footers around to choose from that would be much more enjoyable to sail.

How about a mosquito,

Very light boat to handle yet not to much sail area so big winds arent that much of a drama, they are still in production either as single kevlar or double glass and parts you can buy from any sailing shop (Bias/Whitworths), Massive fleet in Victoria and SA with assoc in vic, sa and nsw.

Can be sailed cat rigged by yourself or sloop rigged with another person and if you get bored you can rig up a kite.

Cheers

William

nswmossie.com 1635

If you think some weekend racing could be fun then check out your local club to see what classes they race. Also there is often a sailor there looking to upgrade so you could find a boat for sale there. I think after speaking to a few club members you will have a much better idea of what to buy..

I sail a Windrush SS so obviously I have a bias to that class. I reckon the best thing you can do is to find a good fleet of 14 footers around your area and ask for a test sail on one of their boats. If you like it then you should have your mind made up for you. I think the best thing about racing is to sail in a good fleet so don't make the mistake of only considering the boat.

Cheers.........Mike

I'm based in Cleveland. I'm also looking for something that is resonably responsive. A Kiwi mate of mine said that the hobie 16 without a headsail are not that hard to handle, the only problem is getting them back up if they capsize. Also I hear what everyone is saying go to the local sailing club and check out what they are sailing. But I don't want peoplre to think that I'm going to be a commited racer every weekend but I am prepared to race once a month. All I'm after is some idea of the types of cats available in the 14 2 16 foot range that could be handled fairly easily one up.

Les

Originally posted by xmatelot:

hi,

Have a good look at the boat before you buy one.

Look for a boat that is still in production, or has availability of parts etc.

I don't think that the hobie 14 is still in production in oz, some parts are available

Whereabouts are you?

pete

hi Les,

Maricat, Windrush, Calypso, Nacra, these are just a few of the smaller cats that are available, they are production boats. There are many other cats that are smaller production manufactured that are very good, Paper Tiger,Arrow and we could name many more that the various devotees will tell you about.

It is entirely up to you, obviously you can sail, you just need a "fun" boat.

I reckon you should visit the local club,Cleveland YC, and look at what is available and suitable.

As mentioned previously, a single handed 16 ft cat may be more to your liking, a Hobie 16 is not a single handed, but some people will disagree with me on that point,

good hunting.

pete smile.gif

PS. you can get a good idea from various local club websites.

humpybong sc ,cleveland yc, rq, or the brisbane catamaran centre.

pete

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 26 March 2007).]

Originally posted by tar00na:

I've read with interest the articles on various cats and am still leaning towards a H14 but somebody said they are very tippy. I will be sailing single handed most of the time in around Brisbane. The cat that interests me is the H14 Turbo. Any advice out there

Les

Hi Les,

You asked for advice, that's what you were given, you should always heed good advice.

pete wink.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 01 April 2007).]

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 01 April 2007).]

• 3 weeks later...

how about a int A CLASS CAT very fast quick,a light cat..great boat to sail...

Aus 671 Mk3 kevlar hulls,with bow covers,carbon mast (with all new rigging) asby sails, boards and rudders (with covers)beach rollers,boat in top condition,lots of spares new ropes,rigging on weight great boat for a starter that are getting into the class/nationals in harveybay too)boat is in brisbane $5000

contact jake for more info 0421997658 or email jakey84@hotmail.com

I've only sailed a H14 once on Lake Cootharaba. My Nacra 5.2 was on capsized in 25+ knots of breeze, and my co-owner who was out sailing the boat at teh time wasn't having any luck getting the Nacra back upright.

So I hitched a ride out to him on a H14 with two other blokes that were going out for their first sail on the thing since buying it.

Since they's never sailed they asked me to sail the H14 and show them what to do. It was comical to say the least.

Three adult men on board a H14 in 25+ knots makes for delicate sailing, mainly because for much of the time the hulls are out of sight underwater, and the boat pitches back and forth on each wave, so it was amatter of constantly shifting the load around to keep the boat afloat.

At the end of the day, it got us out to where we needed to go, but the H14's are really a one person, or two small adult boat. Two kids and an adult on a H14 won't be any fun at all, they're simply not bouyant enough.

Cheers

Barry

Archived