First spi pics 430/F14

berny

Be careful that you don't confuse Berny's "430" (which he is racing as an F14) with the Nacra 14sq. Although I have been unable to locate an exact measurement, it is my understanding that the Nacra 14sq is actually longer than 14ft. I am not sure if it is 15ft long, but I believe it is somewhere between 14ft and 15ft.

This came up many years ago before one of the first Koonawarra Bay 14ft Cat Regattas, when the guys sailing Nacra 14sqs at Port Kembla asked if they could enter the 14ft Cat Regatta. They said the boats were over 14ft, so they weren't able to enter.

Berny's boat, however, has competed in the event on a couple of occasions, as it meets the requirement of being 14ft or less in length.

At mixed regattas in the past, Nacra 14sqs have usually sailed with the larger or mid-size cats, rather than the 14ft (small) cats.

Regards,

Dave Stumbles

Koonawarra Bay sc

www.koonawarrabaysc.org.au

Yes, Boat is definatly over 14 and so no where really. That is okay as I am just having a play with it while I get my other project going. IT seems a real shame as it is a well made and well finnished boat. I am just really wanting to rig it properly.

Originally posted by xmatelot:

hi dave,

i stand corrected, the "14sq" is sail area, not boat length, :O

pete

in reallity there are lots of small cats over 14 ft,(it just happens that most of them have gone where all non competetive cats go, in peoples back yards,)

the nacra 4.5,and the 14 sq, usually sail with the smaller cats, but it appears that because they are "todays boats" and are therefore utilise "todays manufacturing techniques" that some people stick rigidly to their time honoured traditions and cant see that we are in the 21st century.

i will never ever deny sailors their right to sail whatever boat they want, and will do my best to ensure that these older cats are catered for in every way, whether it is advice about availability of parts,

or modifications .

pete smile.gif

Just to clarify, the Koonawarra Bay 14ft Cat Regatta came into being as a means of having excellent racing among the small catamarans. At the time, many small cat sailors had commented that they felt like the poor cousins at mixed regattas, having to conform to the desires of the big cat classes. Some had even chosen not to go to these regattas as they found it daunting sailing among a large fleet of big cats.

The regatta was developed out of this desire for "a regatta of our own". As a bonus, some of the classes who were only getting 10-15 boats at State and National Championships now had a chance to enjoy close racing in a fleet of around 30 boats.

As with most things, a line had to be drawn in the sand, and that line was 14ft length overall. So boats over 14ft aren't entitled to compete. Neither are monohulls. All this is aimed at improving the quality of racing and meeting the original intentions of the event.

This is why most classes only allow boats that conform to class rules to enter State and National Championships for their class. And they don't allow boats of a different class to enter.

Berny's boat, as a 14ft cat, is entitled to enter the 14ft Cat Regatta, and he has on a couple of occasions. There is no fear of modern technology or desire to live in the past.

Regards,

Dave.

hi dave,

all the reasons for class sailing you have mentioned are good valid ones, and as i thought i explained in my previous post i am in favour of all of them, i was trying to point out to lester,in NZ, the

difference in the cats produced nowadays ,and the older ,but still enjoyable cats, it does not reflect in any way on any boats.

please do not think that i am anti older ,smaller boats. i am just a sailing person.

pete. biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

Originally posted by MikeDean:

Berny,

Congrats and well done with the spi.

Seeing your photos has given me a boost of enthusiasm and I am off this morning to go buy a windsurfer mast for a pole and get started on the project.

Would it be possible you could give your description of the method of fixing pole to front beam, and maybe a photo on your web album of this end of the pole (in close up).

Have you made any changes or thoughts on improvements in your setup?

regards

Mike Dean

Perth, WA

I am also in WA at Rockingham and wanting to try an asymmetric spinnaker. Did you ever get yours finished and working? Nick

NickS,

I havent/didnt progress too far with the plan. I got as far as getting the pole, making a rigging plan and tracking down various rigging approaches on the internet. I may try to resurrect the idea during the off season.

I have a few web links that might be useful to you (photos and diagrams of Nacras and Mossies with spi). eg:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mosquito/sp_rigging.php

and

http://home.comcast.net/~ragenpl/nacra/NACRA_55_SLOOP_SPINNAKER_USING_INTER_20_SNUFFER.htm

I did see a photo in the Feb 2007 edition of Windrush Wavelengths (from the WA Assoc) of a W14 with Cherub spi sailing at the Nationals in Busselton. Brett from Windrush was sailing it.

If you let me have your email I can send you a scanned copy (it doesnt appear on the WA W14 website in back issues of the newsletter)

regards

Mike Dean

I did see a photo in the Feb 2007 edition of Windrush Wavelengths (from the WA Assoc) of a W14 with Cherub spi sailing at the Nationals in Busselton. Brett from Windrush was sailing it.

If you let me have your email I can send you a scanned copy (it doesnt appear on the WA W14 website in back issues of the newsletter)

regards

Mike Dean

Thanks Mike. My email is nshard@hotmail.com

Archived