First spi pics 430/F14

berny

• 2 weeks later...

Berny,

Congrats and well done with the spi.

Seeing your photos has given me a boost of enthusiasm and I am off this morning to go buy a windsurfer mast for a pole and get started on the project.

Would it be possible you could give your description of the method of fixing pole to front beam, and maybe a photo on your web album of this end of the pole (in close up).

Have you made any changes or thoughts on improvements in your setup?

regards

Mike Dean

Perth, WA

Berny,

Seeing your photos has given me a boost of enthusiasm and I am off this morning to go buy a windsurfer mast for a pole and get started on the project.

Would it be possible you could give your description of the method of fixing pole to front beam, and maybe a photo on your web album of this end of the pole (in close up).

regards

Mike Dean

Perth, WA

Originally posted by MikeDean:

Berny,

regards

Mike Dean

Perth, WA

If you haven't bought that pole yet I have one you could own for cheap, just let me know what you want to pay for it. The problem with a w/s mast though, is they are a bit big in the dia at the rear end, even after you cut them. I used a 38mm x 1.8 alum tube which I think is about right. I used a modified rudder dudgeon to attach the pole which I'll post a pic of as you request.

Mostly the set-up is pretty good and works well except that I need to replace the halyard with a more expensive non stretch spectra. Mower starter cord isn't much good though it did give me the opportunity to get the length right without the fear of stuffing an expensive bit of rope.

Good on you for taking the plunge, keep us posted and let me know if I can help any more.

Bern

Berny,

Thanks for the offer, though I had returned with the F/G windsurfer mast($50) when I read your reply.

Yes, The mast is about 50mm at large end. I suppose I can cut it discarding the wide end and use the cut piece with approx 38-40mm diam at the front beam.

Now what might be a really dumb question, but how do cats sailing with a jib gybe with a kite up (or dont they)? From your photos your sailing without a jib, so the spi just turns inside out, with the same three points fixed to the boat.

regards

Mike

yes cut the larger dia. end to get your length.

Mate, you simply tack the kite on a jibe the same as you do the jib. Because you're going downwind, the spi blows away from, and around the forestay,........ most of the time smile.gif.

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 26 June 2006).]

• 2 months later...

Hi Darryl,

Yep, I'm looking forward to it too. Doing some work on the boat including a new stiffer (and a little heavier) front beam which I hope works out ok.

Are you comming over?

Jan and I are up there for a couple of weeks in our van though we'll set up a camp at the venue too.

Maybe the guys would like to sail at Koonawarra Bay the weekend following Forster.

• 1 month later...

Berny, I am in NZ and just bought a Nacra 14sq just cause it was cheap and I wanted to try out a boomless rig.

Looking at your boat I just think what a neat thing. it shows all of the problems nacra created with no boom.

Main beam too far foward and the "inhaul unit" they have bolted to the sail. This bit of kit would rip your head right open given the chance. At least a boom just whacks you.

I have not seen a 4.3 here. Who makes them?

Originally posted by berny:

First pics of the boat on the water with spinnaker smile.gif

displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=&pos=0

more here;

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4287241557

Oh well I tried frown.gif

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 05 July 2006).]

lester,

if you visit the brisbane catamaran centre website, you can see many cats and rigs there, the outhaul system on the 14/16sq has been very successful since its introduction, and has made these boats among the fastest in their categories,.

i believe berny made his own cat, and he deserves all the encouragement he rightly deserves, he has persevered through a lot of critisism.

pete

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 14 November 2006).]

[What catagory is the 14 squared in? It seems an oddball at more than 14 and less than 16?

E]Originally posted by xmatelot:

lester,

if you visit the brisbane catamaran centre website, you can see many cats and rigs there, the outhaul system on the 14/16sq has been very successful since its introduction, and has made these boats among the fastest in their categories,.

i believe berny made his own cat, and he deserves all the encouragement he rightly deserves, he has persevered through a lot of critisism.

pete

[What catagory is the 14 squared in? It seems an oddball at more than 14 and less than 16?

E]Originally posted by xmatelot:

lester,

pete

hi lester,

the 14sq is a "14 ft catamaran", the vyc yardstick has it at 84.5, possibly the fastest recognised production cat.

the F14 is a spinnaker rigged boat, and has a lower yardstick, but the 14 sq. with a kite is probably its equal.

rumour has it that matt is thinking of rigging his 4.5 with a kite, we will see the results in time.

pete

Archived