Hobie 14

bad_attitude

Hobie 14 Cat = mainsail and one crew person

Hobie 14 Sloop = mainsail, jib and two crew

Hobie 14 turbo = mainsail, jib, trapeze, one crew.

other 14's call it 'super sloop"

I don't think a H14 has been made in years, in USA they destroyed the mould's.

a good one goes for $1500-2000 and then you can buy a new set of sails and away you go.

I don't think the H14 was ever class legal as what you call a 'sloop'. Only the Mari made it class legal. I'm pretty sure that the cat rig is now legal to race with trap as well.

The difference between price second hand is negligible. You'd be lucky to get a boat that is under 10 years old. Hobie still have the moulds so if you want a new one give your local dealer a call and they can give you a price on one. I just bought myself a cat rigged H14 and will be converting it to turbo in the off season.

hi Grant,

Why wait? Is'nt it just adding trap wires? Where are your jib blocks attached, to the tramp,or on the front beam? Does the front beam have a dolphin striker?

I understood ,as you say,the 14 was "cat rigged",or "turbo", never called "sloop".

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 25 April 2007).]

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 25 April 2007).]

Hi Grant,

Seems that you have a genuine "Turbo", some times some guys just added a jib and trap to a 14,and forgot, or didn't realise that the boat needed a dolphin striker, then when the problems arose they wondered why.

Good sailing.

pete smile.gif

Yeah it is a genuine Turbo, it has the old triple blue stripes which i have only ever seen on turbos. The best thing about the boat is that hobie has all the parts in stock. Except for my jib, which is a two week wait. But it's not bad seeing they haven't been sailing in big numbers for a while. Hopefully i can get out on the water this weekend and make sure she floats.

Archived