jib/ spin for AO 4.4

QB2

I want a bit more get up and go for my 4.4 when I have my daughter and Gravity the boyfriend out for a sail. Suggestions wanted on a suitable jib ie used Mari/Hobie 14/mono or similar and the costs involved in setting up a spinnaker and where to source materials.

The forestay is mounted from the third small front beam on the 4.4 AO and as such it exerts no inward pressure on the bows, if a jib is added the front deck “hatches” have to be lifted and a subfloor glassed into the bow section of each hull to support the extra inwards load of the jib as the bridle mounting point has to be repositioned almost at the bow. There were only six 4.4 Alpha’s made from the factory with a jib as standard (with the sub floors already in place) as special orders. Originally there was a spinnaker fitted from the factory on a few 4.4’s but the customer resistance (and cat sailers in general) to a cat having a spinnaker was quite overwhelming in those days so the spinnaker option was dropped. A spinnaker set up performs extremely well on the 4.4 Alpha whether sailed one up or with others on the cat.

Archived