Hydra 16, few questions

Hey guys and gals, picked up my hydra on sat and doin a heap of work to get it out on the water, hopeing to race in the local winter series. I have a few questions.

1. Pre bend in the mast, my dad thinks i should have a pre bend i dont think i should, been told by a x-world champ to keep it straight as possible

2. Center board casing how do u seal the crack that appears where the 2 half moulds meet? i heard sikaflex in a good thing to use

3. best crew wieght, for races it will be just me (100kg's) and on weekends for fun me and my gf will be taking it out which she is a bout 60kgs do u think thats too much for the old girl?

4. How can i post a pic to show u my new pride biggrin.gif?

All your comments/opinions are appreciated

Yetti,

It depends on what you want to repair on your windrush to what you use. I use flow coat on small chips in the gel coat only. Flow coat has wax to aid is the 'flow' and is similar to gel coat. If the repair is bigger (such as the bottom of the hull) then glass and fibre is the best way. Flow coat is very soft when compared to glass. Sikaflex is great and should be only used in cases where sealing is required.

Richard

Hi Stranded,

Wax in flowcoat doesn't aid the flow of the flowcoat, it enables the cure of the flowcoat. Flowcoat is only cosmetic and has no structural strength. Chopped strand and woven tape need to be used to build up the bottom of the hulls prior the to the flowcoat.

Aladavric,Sikaflex is not a silicone, it's a polyurethane based sealant.

What is a Gelcoat ?

A gelcoat is a layer of special thick coloured resin that protects the laminate and makes it look attractive. It is usually about 1/2 mm (500 microns) thick and is applied to the mould surface by spray or brush before the fibreglass laminate. It also has a fast geltime - typically 10 minutes, that helps prevent "stick-ups". Gelcoats always stay sticky on the surface. This helps the laminate to stick and is the reason why gelcoats should never be used as a final coating. For finish coats use a flowcoat.

What is a flowcoat ?

A flowcoat is similar to a gelcoat except that it is used after the laminate has been made. Flowcoat has a small quantity of wax added to enable the surface to dry "tack-free". It is usually brushed but can also be sprayed. Flowcoats, like gelcoats are available in a wide range of colours.

Yes Graceland, I'm sorry for spreading misinformation about why wax is in flow coat and thanks for the added detail. I do now remember that wax is to prevent it from being tacky - must have had a brain strain! But as I implied in my post, Yetti should use the right product for the repair or he will have a less than reasonable result.

[This message has been edited by stranded (edited 10 May 2007).]

Yes Graceland

Sikaflex is poly based but for the person requesting the info it serves the same purpose in sealing fittings and gaps. He is obviously not a shipwright as i am (how about your creds)

so the extra info is probably not necessary at this point. But as stranded says it is about using the right product for the job, not what it'a base product is. No offence intended.

ok well the bloke that suggested the sikaflex actually is a ship wright, but he only suggested it as a quick fix! so lets not get all touchy bought our 'creds', But i used fiberglass mat to seal the join. Had some compacted matting sitting round so i cut a length up and put resin over the top. Well my dad did tongue.gif thanx for the help on the subject tho.

So wat kinda pre bend should i be lookin at on the mast? Should it have a pre bend or should it be straight?

Archived