Windrush: Symmetric hules and no dagger/centre boards

McKrassy

Hey,

I was wondering how the Windrush gets away without any dagger boards or centre boards given its symmetric hulls. I was under the impression that you would need asymmetric hulls if you don't have dagger/centre boards. Is that not right?

What does that mean for drift and pointing capability on the Windrush? How does it compare to other catamarans or its size?

Regards,

McKrassy.

Interesting. Yes, I looked at the hulls and they appear slightly asymmetric, but not by much. The reason I stated that Windrush 14s have symmetric hulls, is a marketing brochure about the "Trac 14", which I believe is the Windrush 14 as rebranded in the U.S.. You can find it here: http://www.geocities.com/cctexan99/trac/

It states: "For more speed and hull flying action - even for a crew of two - a jib was incorporated into the sail plan from the very beginning to counter possible effects on boat handling characteristics and to offset the danger of pitch poling, extra bouyancy was specified for the sleek, symmetrical hulls."

Now, I am a little confused...

Regards,

McKrassy.

Also what they state with the jib being used to help the boat avoid pitch poleing... this is incorrect...

A jib being by nature forward of the pivoting moment of the boat will actually help drive the nose under... Hence in a big blow if u are having trouble just back the jib off till it flogs every so often, this will vent the head of the sail and allow it to drive from further down with less power forward of the pivoting moment... I do it in 22+ knts on a reach, i get to a point where i stop driving the boat and start conserving boat & protecting position. I'll attack upwind in a blow just not off it, the risk is too great. As they say consistency wins regatta's.

A spinnaker does not quite have the same effect it actually will lift the bows out of the water... but there is another long explaination of this which i wont go into...

You are right in that the Trac 14 was a Windrush 14 though. If you need any more windrush questions, just ask i'll answer them.

Archived