Advice on Stingray's

I have been trying to look into stingrays but cant find much info! The reason I am interested is they seem like a pretty quick boat for the money I have to spend... I am a student!

What should I look out for when I am looking at them? are there any notorious tell tale signs of disrepair that I should look out for?

ANY advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Even though I don't sail a mozzie I have friends that do. Its a great boat. If you hunt around you'll find one they made so many and they are a good cheap platform with a spinniker optional raced one person or two. They also seem to have made a resergence in the racing scene so spares and competition on the water are likely to be much better..

Associations in 3 states vic, sa and nsw and boats are being made in glass.

Quick boat for its size sail 1 up or 2 up and as said in previous post sail it with a kite.

Friendly bunch of guys that sail it and really good competition.

When sailed properly they are really competative boats due to their yardstick.

Easy to handle buy 1 person as the platform weighs around 55kg and sailing weight of 90kg.

Always a competative fleet at state and national levels and nsw state titles will be holding a wooden boat division for the older boats.

Cheap little rockets when you think of it.

Cheers

william

nswmossie.com 1635

Testing Times 1803

Sounds like the mozzie is definately worth considering! The reason I was thinking stingray is that its a pretty inexpensive way to get started in cat sailing, and I'm a heavy sailor (105kg).

Although mozzies sound far more available and people actually race them down in VIC, I am in Melbourne.

What sort of dollars to the mozzies fetch? How about a Nacra 4.9?

Thanks again, and keep the great advice coming!

Mitch

Not sure about the Nacra, I'm not bashing them, but I've seen a lot more Mosquitos in Victoria than Nacra 4.9?. When buying a boat you'd want to stay with something thats around your area, in this case I think the Mozzie probably fits the bill, the availability of parts that are affordable is also a good thing about the mozzie.

A secondhand boat depending on how much you want to spend and how much you want to do to it (do you mind having to repaint for example) I guess anything from $500 for something that needs a bit time put into it to $1500 for something that you could just go with ( and every price in between ) still wouldn't be top of the line, but in good condition.

Keep an eye on ebay I suppose, buy the trading post and watch the association website, something will come along. More likely a mozzie pop up than a Stingray (again not bashing).

Matt

in answer to your question... the stingrays are an older stile boat that have not really been made for a number of years. they are fast and cheap. they also are not very strong. i cut my teeth on a stingray, and we spent more time fixing it that sailing it. a twenty year old nacra 5.8 will still beat a stingray in most winds (the current 2nd in the state nsw stingray used to race against my 20 year old nacra 5.8 and i used to beat it on regular basis, the only time it would get me was in light ficual winds).the one that came 4th was also from around here and it hasn't come near me for about 7 years. from my experience and from what i have seen they all seem to break alot and all have trouble rasing the main sail( i think because they run so much pre-bend). also if you weight 105kg you will be way to heavy for a stingray or a mozzie. i would recomend a nacra 5.8, and the reason that old mate has never seen a nacra 4.9 in Vic is because they don't make a nacra 4.9. one of the things that you need to look at is the tramp rails ripping out of the hulls on the stinger,beems being secure, hulls tend to split right down the centre underneath,noses break off very easily, treat then with kid gloves. you should also look at a hobbie 18, cheap tuff and still quite fast. regards REV

Archived