New Sailer...... Paper Tiger Sail wanted.....

Troy83

Hi all, I just purchased my first cat, I got a paper tiger, its one of the older fiberglass ones, I know there not the latest and greatest thing but this is my first boat and I spose a nice solid one to learn how to sail and stuff.... What im looking for is a second hand sail, The one on it is ok but if anyone out there has a sail in good condition (no sh*t ones please)please drop me a line and price. I live in Adelaide....... Thanks Troy

G'day Troy,

I am involved with the PT association in SA, i'll ask around for you and see if anyone has a reasonable 2nd hand sail. A new sail is really only competitive at top level for 3 seasons, but is still good for another few after that so they are around. Usually for one of these you would be looking at around $300 - $400. Are the battens in your current sail in good condition? I have a good 2nd hand sail (12th at nationals, 2nd at sa states in 2005, then packed away) but it is $300 without battens.

Good luck with your PT, let me know if you need a hand with rigging or anything else.

Cheers Tom.

Cheers for the reply, I will have a look at the batterns this weekend and see what condition they are in.... I might be looking for another mast in the future the one on it has a little dent on it and I have been told it is now a weak spot.... What will one cost? just a second hand one I wont be using it for racing or anything Thanks Troy......

Depending on where the dent is located on the mast, it might not be a problem.

Getting hold of a second hand mast will be a bit tricky, unless you would be happy with one that has previously been bent. (i have 4 masts in my shed roof, but none of them are totally straight anymore!)

There are a couple of different masts available new, an "old style" section which is about $150, and a new section which is around $350

The mast on a PT is prone to bending in anything over 25knots.

G'day Denis,

The Australian section hasn't been made for many years, since the dye broke while in use.

As such, mast bases for them haven't been made since. I sold one recently to a mate who still has an Australian section, sorry. I still have a 'short' one, where the part that inserts into the mast is about half the height of the later ones. However, the reason these were changed was because the short ones sometimes turned inside the mast, cracking the base. Therefore I would rather not sell it to someone.

Vic Scholes makes custom PT fittings, including mast bases. He may be able to help. You can get him on (03) 5169 6295.

I notice you are based at Wagga. Are you associated with the Wagga Wagga Boat Club? There is a fleet of PTs there, including some very competitive ones.

Regards,

David Stumbles

Publicity Officer, APTCA.

Thanks Dave

I had seen Vic's name on one of the web site's before but could not find it again.I am a member of the Wagga club I sail an old fibreglass boat 1854 which was from the ACT area I dont know who's boat it was or how old it is,I have been learning to sail it over the last 6 months but have a long way to go.I am very lucky as the guys at the club will do anything to help they even doug out this mast to replace the old oval section one I have been using but it does not have a base and they all use the new section.They have even offered to set up and test sail the boat to get it in the ball park for me after I get the Aust section mast on.

Regards

Denis

Thanks for the feedback Denis.

Yes, they are a great bunch of guys at Wagga. I'm glad you have connected with them. They will certainly look after you.

If you would like to be on the Paper Tiger mailing list, please send me your e-mail address to "dave at papertigercatamaran dot org". That way you can be kept up to date with the latest that is happening in the class.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Dave.

Originally posted by Troy83:

Hi all, I just purchased my first cat, I got a paper tiger, its one of the older fiberglass ones, I know there not the latest and greatest thing but this is my first boat and I spose a nice solid one to learn how to sail and stuff.... What im looking for is a second hand sail, The one on it is ok but if anyone out there has a sail in good condition (no sh*t ones please)please drop me a line and price. I live in Adelaide....... Thanks Troy

Troy, I have a near crap one you can have for postage costs. It has a bit of mold but isn't streched way out, will get you up and going if you want it.

Thanks all for your help.... I have got one from a old guy from my dads yacht club.. It shoud do for a while...... I went for a sail last week-end.... I gotta say the bug has well and truly bitten me!!! It was great but a little more wind would have helped tho... cheers guys... Troy

G'day Troy,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the PT. They are certainly a great boat.

Can you let me know the name and sail number of the boat for our records please?

Also, if you want to be on the PT mailing list, send me your e-mail address to "dave at papertigercatamaran dot org"

Please keep asking if you have questions about the class. As you have seen already, the PT sailors (and others on these forums) are only too happy to help.

Regards,

David Stumbles

Secretary

Paper Tiger Catamaran International Assoc.

Just a quick question... I won the above ebay auction which had a paper tiger sail but it has all the gear off a hobie.... Question is can I use the hobie rudder system on the paper tiger??? I have ply rudders on my boat but the rudder system looks average.

Archived