Restoration of PT 2314

Slowpoke

Hi, my name is Gary and I have not been sailing for just over 30 years. I began sailing on my brothers arrow in the early 70s after which I built my own A Class cat. To cut a long story short I had to sell her after getting married and now I've just purchased PT 2314 and about to embark on restoring it back to hopefully something like its original condition. I picked up a new mast from Garry Williams in Wagga Wagga on my way back to Brisbane from Canberra last weekend as the boat had a broken mast. So firstly I will need information on setting the mast up. One of the hulls apears to have suffered a puncher to the deck just behind the front beam as it was poorly repaired so I will need advice on the best way of fixing this. The paint is going to be removed as it has had a repaint over what I would say was the original paint work and look tired.

If anyone has any information on the history of this boat or anything else interesting then I would love to hear about it.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Cookie,

Are you connected with a club and/or other Paper Tiger sailors?

Can you let me know the name of the boat so I can update my records please? (I have no details for 1627).

Let me know if you need any assistance or have any questions.

Regards,

Dave Stumbles

Secretary

Paper Tiger Catamaran International Association

(I'm based in NSW)

0400 476 449

Can anyone advise how much paint is required to do the decks and hulls? And if anyone has had to lay new glass on the bottom side of the hulls, how much weight would this add?

Progress to date: Have sanded back both hulls below the deckline. There appears to be a few areas that I need to look at a far as ply and joint repairs.

Is it normal practise to glass scarf joints and the inside of centre board cases?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, Sorry thought I had replied but now not so sure....

I have sailed a couple of times at the Somerton Sailing Club in Adelaide. The season is over for this year but hope to race next season with them.

From what I gather 1627 hasn't been in the water for around 6 or so years. It has been repainted recently with spray cans white, with some blue pinstriping. Appears under the runs to possibly be red?. It is a glass boat full size tramp.

Have some pics if you want them. Hopefully over winter she will get a respray, new centreboards and rudders and I had better get some repairs done to the stitching on the tramp unless I plan on getting wet! lol

G'day Cookie,

Always interested in pictures!

Great to hear that you are connecting with a club. That is the way to go.

Maybe you could SMS your boat name and e-mail address to me on 0400 476 449.

Anyway, let me know if you need any info.

Regards,

Dave.

Archived