Trailer

Emmessee

Oh dear Matt, it was a joke, you know like as in to have your dog or cat serviced when you are breeding them. But seriously what do you mean be having it serviced? If it is just minor stuff like wheel bearings none of that kind of stuff is hard. If it is wheel bearings just remember to keep everything clean and not get dirt into the races. Other than that what do you service on a trailer?

Harry

Bearings are usually either Holden or Ford unless it's hybrid in which case expect anything. If the bearings aren't stuffed you can service them yourself and even if they are stuffed you can do it. Do one wheel at a time, take the wheel off, lever off the dust cap with a large screwdriver, unbend the split pin and undo the big nut that holds it all in place and just pull the hub off. The bearings will will just about fall out, place those on a clean lint free cloth. Wipe the races clean with a lint free cloth and inspect the seals, places like Autopro sell the seals if you need new ones or if your bearings are cactus then just buy a whole new kit after having acertained Holden or Ford. Drift the old races out with either a brass drift if you have one or use a large screwdriver. the inner and outter races are different sizes so you can't go wrong there. Clean out all the old grease and just tap the new races into place using firstly a piece of clean hardwood and then tap around the edges with a drift (or screwdriver) very carefully till it bottoms out. Grease the bearings with a good quality lithium based grease, don't overdo the amount of grease. Place the back bearing in position and place hub back on axle then place front bearing in place. Screw on the big nut and tighten till you feel resistance to turning the wheel, then back off the nut till the wheel spins freely and you can line up the first available split pin hole and put in a new pin after having trimmed the legs to the correct length. Put some new grease into the dust cap, and tap it home. Repeat on other side. Easy, costs you about $30 in parts and saves heaps on paying someone to do what you just did yourself. If after all that you feel you are not competent enough then any mechanic or trailer or caravan place will do the job for you, $$$$$$

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the wheels for the trailer were rooted completely. I went to my mate to get new rubber and the rims were stuffed. I am taking the opportunity to put bigger wheels on it for longer trips as I am moving to the Hunter Valley and the trip to the coast is about an hour every time so the bigger diameter wheels will travel much better. The bearings were in good order but that really doesn't matter now as I am replacing the wheels.

So a little job becomes a big job as usual.

Archived