Speed

knobblyoldjimbo

Just out of interest, I have a Holux m241 gps logger. It's been ok as just a gps device (laptop chartplotter) but they've only just come out with an update that records speed.

Anyway I had it recording last Saturday and I just topped 16knots, average for the whole race was about 8.

The logger records every 5 secs (althought that can be changed) so it didn't really record the massive deceleration when I stuck the bow into a big wave and did a handstand!

This was at Manno, NW breeze got quite windy, not sure how much though - did hear someone say 20.

Was able to put the track onto a mapping application (although not track and speed) and I clearly need to improve my tacking and pointing. Also that terrible habit of going too high on the reaches!

Children please, no bickering!

Phil, it's about the same size as a 35mm film canister (remember film!) and has a small lcd screen which is useful in the car to check speed but not on the boat. I put it in one of those plastic boxes with pull up clips, I have one that is just big enough for the gps and just small enough to fit through the hatch hole which is where I put it. Reception is easy since it's plastic and it pulls data in from about 12 satellites so the fix is good and constant.

I'll see if I can do a copy of the course.

I think the Holux isn't generating enough data because the apps that I use (free stuff!) don't show much except the course. Garmin have a good site where you can upload a gpx file but the file that I can generate from the Holux isn't recognised by it which is a pity because it shows maps and other information. The output specs aren't rocket science (to a rocket scientist!) but it's a little beyond my booze riddled head.

KO

album.php?albumid=9&attachmentid=94

try this one, this was Manno 18th Dec, wind NW, as Michael said 8-20 knots. The application GPS Action Replay could show speed and acceleration graphs but the data isn't complete. It's probably a good thing though because I wouldn't want my appallingly slow tacks to show up!

Ok, if you can't see the pic (which I can't) here's the link http://catsailor.net/forums/album.php?albumid=9&attachmentid=94

Thanks for posting that jimbo, very interesting. I always thought that when you are tacking you would be working at 90 deg to the last tack, but that shows that either you are not pointing very high or most likely that is the amount of slip, maybe one of the drawbacks of not having centre boards. It would be interesting to have compared that to a boat that had centreboards, even a monohull, (which would have tacked quicker too I suppose).

Archived