What's the difference? - Cobra vs Mossie

Jethrow

The difference between the Mosquito & Cobra is very little to the casual observer, but at a closer look the Cobra has swinging boards, the Mossie has dagger boards, the Cobra has mast section (tear drop) beams and the Mossie has rectangle beams, the hulls are similar also with the Mossie having the rocker further back, sail's are also a similar size. The Mosquito is also considerably lighter. in my opinion (and I have sailed both) The Mossie is an easier boat to sail especially Cat rigged. in Victoria their yardsticks are also similar but on the water the Mossie results indicate that they are faster. I am sure the Cobra guys will have a bit to say on this.

Hey Jethrow,

No Turbulence has pritty much wrapped it up there,

The mossies are built lighter using carbon fibre and kevlar where as these fibres are banned in the construction of cobras, however cobras are allowed to use carbon/kevlar in the rudders and centreboards.

Both the cobra and mossie use the same mast section.

The cobra hulls are fuller in the bow.

cobras can be sailed one up or two up (just add or remove jib)

Cobra/Stingray nationals are at NSW Belmont 16 Footers on Lake Macquarie (28th Dec 2010 - 3rd Jan 2011)

Pop down to see the top boats in action! :)

I always had an idea that it would be great to have a "Championship" that included a combined fleet of Mosquito's , Cobra's and Hydra's. As they are similar designs it would be first across the line wins, I like the idea as there could be 80 plus boats on the start line!, it could also drag boats out of sheds, other class's could also be added like Dolphins and Solo 16's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived